The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured with the Stanley Cup finals ending last night, now would be a good time to start a new thread.

Obviously GMJR isn't finished revamping the roster. Will he trade Murray or Jarry? I tend to suspect it will be Murray and I don't think the return is gonna be as much as we would like it to be. I'd be comfortable with Jarry/ DeSmith (who is making 7 figures in the minors) going forward. Will definitely miss Horny but I feel that GMJR moved him at a good time, before it became too late. I wonder if anyone else goes?

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Murray traded. The return wasn't great, but given the glut of goalies on the FA market, I expected this. I hate that they will have the ghost of Jack Johnson on their salary cap for SIX years, but I didn't see any other way to get rid of him that was cheaper.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unbelievably, Jack Johnson signed somewhere!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Terrible start to the season. It’s bad enough to lose the first two games, but worse yet to lose to the Flyers. Hopefully the Pens will turn it around and the Flyers will continue their streak of not winning a Cup since the 70s.

I had hoped the Pens would trade Malkin.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't see sullivan surviving this season. They look bad and bored already. Pittsburgh sports are going to be painful to watch the next few years.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Terrible start to the season. It’s bad enough to lose the first two games, but worse yet to lose to the Flyers. Hopefully the Pens will turn it around and the Flyers will continue their streak of not winning a Cup since the 70s.

I had hoped the Pens would trade Malkin.
(y):)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Don't see Sullivan surviving this season. They look bad and bored already. Pittsburgh sports are going to be painful to watch the next few years.
Unfortunately that may be true. I don’t care really who wins the Cup this year as long as a long Stanley Cup drought for one team continues.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I'll get off the pessimist train, but still not too optimistic for this year.

But I'll dust off and stay positive for now. I will give them a pass for no preseason and a new staff. Power play has been awful, o-fer verses Caps and struggle to even get off a decent shot, let alone put it on goal.

And does anyone think you can ride DeSmith into a deep playoff run? Gotta find a way go get Jarry going. I think DeSmith is a real solid #2 NHL goalie but they went all-in on Jarry when they moved on from Murray.

Cupboard is pretty bare, been focused on the present and can't complain about that. Players inevitably start to decline but fans who complain about Malkin or Letang should check the names on the Stanley Cup and look up into the rafters.

If at some point this team has clearly stagnated and just treading water, look for a major roster overhaul to dump salary and gain picks or young talent. Fans should not say "good riddance" to a vet that is dealt, but "thank you and good luck".

Its just the way it is, in the salary cap era. You build a team for the moment, go for it, crash hard and reload. With the Pens-Caps, we got to see two all-time greats, two awesome teams, and the Metro battle was the real Stanley Cup for three straight years.

But the tab is going to have to be closed out pretty soon, it is what it is.

There's one sure-fire way to reset the franchise, but it would be soul crushing to fans and sacrilege to do it. Unless he requests it. I won't even type the words, I can't go there.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jarry doesn't look too hot, but this is a small sample. He was an all star not too long ago. He might not be as good as he was then, but I also don't think he's as bad as he's been so far.

I don't harbor a great deal of optimism because the division the pens are in probably has five of the top ten teams in the league in it. At the end of the day Sullivan might have to pay for their mediocrity, but sadly, that is the way of things in the NHL.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Haven’t watched a game yet . Perhaps tonight . Having are hard time getting enthusiastic about the Pens because I don’t feel like they did enough to make them better so I am not very optimistic at the moment. Hopefully they can change my mind.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Not to gloss over some issues, like showing up in the first period, but a comeback and OT win was a really good response by the boys. Let's hope it settles them down and gets the season rolling.

Getting a shorty in a 5-on-3 disadvantage was beyond huge. Soul crushing to the Caps and lit the fire under the Pens.

And you could see the "Oh 💩!" look on the goalie's face when Sid came across the crease with the puck in OT. Betcha Ovie was already heading to the shower when he saw Sid get possession at point blank range with no defensive help. Didn't even wait for the lamp to light.

For one night, a much needed 2, and a glimmer of hope.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My gosh, even hockey season has to start out chaotic. 🤯

Good to get another two, but so far these Pens are not making it easy for a fan. Third OT win in a row.

Two of those goals they just hung Jarry out to dry. I hope all those guys stopped by his locker and gave him a couple $20s or something. My bad Tristian, here have a few beers on me.....🍺🍻

But, they hung in there, clawed back, took it to OT, and got that extra point. Gritty.

Liked the new kid. You have to like a D-man named "P.O."

in the 2021 Age of Diversity, a French-speaking black hockey defenseman is appropriate.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They certainly don't do things the easy way.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts