The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It is a testament to the coaching that the Pens do so well with major pieces out of the lineup for extended periods of time. Sully got all the boys buying in. Playing the right way. That is no small feat.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I thought Sid and company were going to get a goal in the first min. on his first shift....
They looked good last night but, it was the Wild. They couldn't even get their starting line-up straight!

I will be doubly impressed if they can perform like that and look like that against the Crapitals.....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sid was awful tonight. He'll be fine, I hope.

First game I've watched all year that has that look of a 7 game series. 4 mostly evenly matched lines, physical.

I like Jarry more than Murray right now. I think the goalie comp should last all season though.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Now Marino goes down with a puck to the face. Ugh. If Sullivan does not win Coach of the Year its a farce. Having lost so many player-games to injury, let alone WHO is/was out, and this team rolling like it is, man.

So far the Pens have done all right in not letting those stinker games string into 3, 4 or 7 game awful streaks. Two on the road against two quality opponents and they got two points out of it.

I was at the 0-3 comeback against the Bruins. The Pens are just never, ever out of it.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Alex Galchenyuk to Minnesota...……… Jason Zucker to the 'Burgh.
The Pens also gave up D-man Calen Addison and a 2020 conditional first round pick. I don't know anything about Addison, but this seems like a good deal to me. Galchenyuk has been pretty useless here.

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Addison is an offensive d man. Not sure of his NHL potential, but he was a point a game guy where he was. Zucker has to be an upgrade over Galchenyuk. This kind of deal is the price you pay when your team has a shot and is "buying". Considering the Pens success this year in spite of the huge number of injuries, I think this deal was a good move. As long as the players continue to buy in and play the right way (as Sully says) and as long as the goalies stay sharp, I don't see any reason the team cant make a long run.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Zucker is also signed for three more years at a price that right now seems reasonable. Galchenyuk was not a fit here or he's just always going to be more potential than results. Addison would not be in a position to help the core guys win a cup now or next year, by the time he's ready that's probably too late. Same with a late #1 pick. Addison and the pick have good future values, which helps Billy. G rebuild the Wild. And they can decide to resign Galchenyuk or let him walk in the spring, so they took his contract in the deal. Zucker clearly helps the Pens now, so it helped Jimmy R.

Looks like two GMs who are "friends" (as much as they can be in their roles) did a deal that seems to be a true win-win for both of them and what they are trying to do. Bruins were hot on Zucker too, so it sticks it to them a bit. (Thanks Bill!)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Apparently the Pens have been interested in Zucker for a while. They had a trade worked out last year but Kessel derailed it with a no-trade clause in his contract.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
They just keep piling on the points. We'll see how those currently injured are really doing if JR pulls another trade before the deadline
Aston-Reese left the game today. I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade DeSmith for a prospect or two. They’re pretty deep at goalie. I don’t see them trading Jarry or Murray before the deadline. There’s no need to do that. Both have been playing very well lately and it helps to have depth on goal in case of injury.

·
4,225 Posts
Pens acquire Patrick Marleau from SJ for conditional 3rd Round Pick.

Pens acquire Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues from Buf for Dominik Kahun.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Pens acquire Patrick Marleau from SJ for conditional 3rd Round Pick.

Pens acquire Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues from Buf for Dominik Kahun.
I hope the trades help the Pens rebound. They’ve lost three straight and need to reverse that trend. They were playing so well before that. I haven’t seen the games, so I don’t know what the problems are.

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Aston-Reese left the game today. I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade DeSmith for a prospect or two. They’re pretty deep at goalie. I don’t see them trading Jarry or Murray before the deadline. There’s no need to do that. Both have been playing very well lately and it helps to have depth on goal in case of injury.

Pens will keep DeSmith, who is a decent goalie, as backup to Jarry after this year. They'll trade Murray, as I believe he will be looking for a sweet contract and can get it. He's a better than average net-minder with 2 cups. They can't keep both of their current goalies after this year, and DeSmith is pretty much a shoe-in as a serviceable backup with a low-end contract.

·
4,225 Posts
Two things went against trading Murray at the deadline.
1. They are in win now mode and Murray/Jarry give them the best chance of that.
2. The demand for net minders wasn't that high. (I think only Robin Lehner moved, to be MAF backup in Vegas)

This off season will be interesting. They gave DeSmith 3yr/$3M (I believe). That was to keep him as the backup when one of these two starters is gone next year. They are likely going ot have ot let one of them walk. My guess is Murray goes but if Murray turns in a masterful playoffs they may change their mind.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Two things went against trading Murray at the deadline.
1. They are in win now mode and Murray/Jarry give them the best chance of that.
2. The demand for net minders wasn't that high. (I think only Robin Lehner moved, to be MAF backup in Vegas)

This off season will be interesting. They gave DeSmith 3yr/$3M (I believe). That was to keep him as the backup when one of these two starters is gone next year. They are likely going ot have ot let one of them walk. My guess is Murray goes but if Murray turns in a masterful playoffs they may change their mind.
I think another reason is that with the injuries they’ve had in goal over the last few years, Sullivan wasn’t willing to go into the playoffs with two goaltenders who little or no playoff experience.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Man, the Pens lost to another lousy team last night. That’s five straight losses. They’ve only scored 8 goals in those 5 games. They took penalty after penalty last night.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts