The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go with another gardening season. Today is Earth Day, go plant something. It has been really dry here a late. Two cold spells in the last month. I found myself replanting some things today.
I had put out snow peas the day before Easter, which is the only thing doing anything. Also, put out carrots, chives, broccoli, Brussels, chard, kale, and salad mix. It has been real slow.
Going to do a few new things this year to keep it fun. One big difference is I didn't till this year. I am putting straw down between rows. I even started tomatoes inside, which I always buy the plant. Started some asparagus. Also started green onions from seed. I should have bought started ones and they would be further along, but I like starting from seed.
Looking forward to hearing and seeing some other gardens around the state.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Started some tomatoes around Easter and have a few 3" tall or so. Also put in lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots this week. Should get my onion sets next week and have them in as soon as things dry out and I get my tiller back up and running.

I'm also going to try straw between the rows and as a mulch around everything. Interested to see how it goes.

Speaking of straw, has anyone ever tried growing potatoes in straw without burying them at all? I saw an article on this and thought about trying a row

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
I have never tried to grow potatoes in straw. A couple of years ago I experimented with growing them in a stack of tires. Epic fail. So far this Spring I planted 5 lbs onion sets, cauliflower, lettuce and 40 lbs of seed potatoes. Tomatoes and peppers were started 4 weeks ago in the hotbed. Thinned out strawberries this week and fertilized and remulched. I like to use rotting spruce needles for berry mulch.

This is a little early for me to plant potatoes. The two week forecast looks good, and taters can withstand some frost. My peach and pear trees are setting fruit this week, apple tree buds opening now too.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I put in carrots, beets, snow peas, green beans, onions and cukes so far. I'm waiting a few more weeks to plant peppers and lettuce.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I just put in 2 Anaheim Chill Pepper plants, 1 Big Boy tomato plant. After last years over abundance I am not planting more than I can eat or give away. Mostly going with flowers this year: Black Eyed Susan and Cypress vines up the side of the shed; Amaranth (Burgundy); Bachelor Button; marigolds and a mix of wild flowers. I still have canned tomatoes from last year.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Most cold weather stuff except potatoes has been in a week now...onions, peas, lettuce and radishes. Will wait a couple weeks for the warmer weather stuff like beans, cucumbers, corn and almost a month for zucchini, watermelons and tomatoes pumpkins etc. Put up a hoop house this spring and have 2 ft tall tomatoes and foot tall peppers well on the way to a June crop.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Put 2 lb of onion sets in last week. Gonna try to get my taters in today. Corn, tomatoes, and squash/zukes should follow in a week and a half or so.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a bed and a half of red norlands. Done hilling them. Spring onions and mesclun mix are ready. Kale is about 9" high and cabbage, brussels are getting big. Tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes and warm weather seeds, are waiting to go in. It's been tough trying to mow lawns, turkey hunt and garden around this rain.

·
Premium Member
24,083 Posts
Just planted peppers and zucchini also planted rhubarb a few weeks ago

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
5# of kennebecs and 5# of red pontiacs went in Monday along with another pound of Dutch onion sets. Things are starting to sprout...albeit slowly give the off and on nice weather we've had. Wife and I are going away for a long weekend coming up. I figure warm weather stuff will go in when we get back.0

·
Registered
536 Posts
My garlic is doing nice this year just have a little bit (lost it all to flooding last year) no french red have to get some for this fall. Onions are growing good. Got the sweet corn, potatoes, squash, carrots, beets, cukes, okra, beans all in. Just waiting for the temps to warm up to plant tomatoes and peppers. Plowed 1/2 the garden in and raised it last fall so it should drain better this year lets hope.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I live in a "holler", always damp and cold. We had a hard frost/freeze this morning. This is why I can never plant until Memorial Day. Even if we don't get a freeze, nothing really grows until after June 1 anyhow down here.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My garden has been pretty idle here. Only thing to be growing well is snow peas. Anything else is getting hit by cutworms, or wireworms. So they come up and get nibbled. Everything is in though, planted sunflowers yesterday which was the last thing.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Peas coming up, zuks and cukes in. Trying pepper and potatoes in SmartPots this year. Have tomatoes to go in and maybe some late lettuce. Strawberries are looking great again!!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I finally got started on the garden. I do the "old fashioned" turning over with a spade shovel before I till.

While turning over the garden I ran into this little guy.

It never moved while I worked so I left his area undisturbed. He'll repay me later this summer by eating the garden.....

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I got all my peppers and maters in this weekend. I have to replant my beans and some of my peas. I think I put them too deep.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts