The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see those gardens.

Working on mine today, not planting yet just getting it ready.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what I got so far. This one is 5 x 8. Need to till alittle more and add some more dirt. I think this will be a salsa garden maybe.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Garden #1 and the start. I hear there is a frost warning for tonight so back on with the straw. Last year at this time I had a lot more stuff growing, oh well.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things are starting to pop up. Lettuce, kale, spinach, radishs, and beats all popped through yesterday. Need some sunny days. Still need to get my peppers and tomatoes planted.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't plant the early stuff but I got all my herbs planted. I lost my Rosemary and thyme to the hard winter after years of them coming back so I replaced them along with some more chives and flat leaf parsley. I also ripped out a ten year old Sage bush that had just gotten to big and out of control where it was and put in a new one in a different spot. Tomatoes, peppers cucumbers, and eggplant will go in shortly.

·
20,126 Posts
My asparagus is coming up pretty good at this point. cutting a heaping handful every 2 days. From the looks of the forecast I'll have to start cutting twice a day next week. Once those temps get into the 50's at night.....look out. Grows faster then I can keep up with it.

Trying something new this year and started sweet corn and tomatos indoors. Corn is just sprouting and the tomatos are about a foot tall right now. Just trying to get to pickin a little earlier then August this year.

The rest of the garden I think I'll put in sometime around the 17th I'd say. The way this year is shaping up it really doesn't look like we're going to get a late frost down here in the Valley. Just a hunch.

All my fruit trees are all nearly blossomed out and the Blueberries are just starting to get the bumble bees on them right now. Spring is slowly happening..........

Its funny cause while some stuff is playing catchup my rasp and black berries are JUST starting to leaf out and not even close to flowering. Everything is all straggered up this year.

·
20,126 Posts
Aspargus is a pain in the bum where I live! As usual the asparagus beetles are all over it already keep me busy killing them but I get the added bonus this year of mice nibbling on the fresh shoots and the stalks of growing plants and cause then to 'shepard hook' real bad. That's a first!! I set about 6 traps with peanut butter in there last night so hopefully I see some death when I get home from work tonight. I swear to god that every pest on earth is out of control in my area. It's a thriving ecosystem of varmints!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Put in raised beds this year using the "Square Foot Gardening" method.

I have a 4'x4'x12" box and a 4'x4'x8". Filled them with a mixture of manure compost, mushroom compost, peat moss and vermiculite. Mixed it all together and gridded it all out with nails and twine.

We planted yesterday and it's amazing how much stuff you can get in them. I have 4 tomatoes, 4 green peppers, onions, carrots, 2 kinds of peas, 3 kinds of lettuce, green beans, garlic, asparagus, and I'm putting potatoes in square buckets.

I don't have a tiller, renting one when you need it is a pain and my soil isn't great, so I'm giving this a shot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What kind of fencing do you all like for raised beds? It has to look decent too. I was planning to just get 2 foot sections of "picket fencing" with as small gaps as I can find. Then we can pull a section to reach in as needed. The bed plus the fencing would then be roughly 24" high.

Also, what is best blend of soil / compost to first fill bed with?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I put my garden in on the 26th of April. It's doing great my Maters have doubled in size, Peppers not so much. The cukes, zukes, and beans I planted from seed and are just starting to come up. This was the earliest I've ever planted, I've lucked out and have only had to cover it twice. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
970 Posts
CL3 said:
What kind of fencing do you all like for raised beds? It has to look decent too. I was planning to just get 2 foot sections of "picket fencing" with as small gaps as I can find. Then we can pull a section to reach in as needed. The bed plus the fencing would then be roughly 24" high.

Also, what is best blend of soil / compost to first fill bed with?
I use green metal posts (screwed to the frame) and rabbit brand fencing. The kind with increasingly smaller openings towards the bottom. I cut the fencing into panels and wire tie to the posts. You can trim to the height you want. Blends in with the vegetation and looks nice, and you can remove and replace the fence panels to work. Plus it should last forever.

I started with garden soil, manure, and peat moss. I add kitchen scraps in the off season, & mulch with grass clippings in the summer. I did find this kind of gardening uses up soil, possibly from the intensive nutrient uptake from planting so densely. I have to add a bag or two of garden soil every spring. I'm averaging a 3-4 year lifespan for the untreated 2 x 8's.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
CL3, for the mixture a friend passed on to me, per 4'x8'x8" bed:

7 bags of manure compost
7 bags of mushroom compost
1 bag vermiculite
1/2 bag of peat moss

That said, if you read the instructions on the vermiculite, you should mix 2 parts compost to 1 part vermiculite. I think the peat moss helps keep the soil loose though. I'm also going to keep an eye on it myself and may work in more vermiculite next year.

The bags of compost come at less then $2 at my local Lowe's. The peat moss is like $8 I think and the vermiculite is pricey at about $16.

Also, I have seen bags of all that stuff mixed together already (after the fact of course) and I don't recall a price on it. It was also at a local home & garden center.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good info here. Thanks. I've built a 4'x12' with cedar 2x6s. I'm going to add some cedar 2x4s for netting on one side for climbers.

Still on the fence about fencing... haha. Want it to be easily accessible for my wife and little girls, and the metal fencing worries me some in that sense.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I'm not too worried about it yet. I'll see how much attention it draws and go from there.

·
20,126 Posts
Went and put everything into the ground this past weekend. Simplified things this year for sure. Plants only corn, tomatos, beans, red bell peppers, zucs, and cucs. Simple!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
onions-spinach-lettuce-swiss chard ready to eat.Potatoes are growing well-planted green bens and liamas and kolrobi this eve.Will plant corn-sweet potatoes-cabbage-peppers-cabbage-this week.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Got everything in the ground 1.5-2 weeks ago. We planted: [bulbs]onions, garlic, [roots?] asparagus [Seeds] carrots, snap peas, sugar peas, green beens, green leaf lettuce and red leaf lettuce, pumpkins [plants] 3 big tomato and 1 cherry tomato (not sure on variety, 4 jalapeno, 4 sweet banana, 4 each of green, yellow and orange bell, and 2 each of red and purple bell peppers, oh and one sunflower that my son brought home from school.

Also last night we got potatoes started, we're trying the bucket method as my garden is all raised beds, and we have 3 romaine lettuce heads started in a bowl of water. They're shooting off new leafs but not much in the way of roots.

As of last night everything is doing great, all the seeds are up except for the pumpkins (which were just planted over the weekend), and carrots.

Here's a pic of the garden from a week or so ago. I've added another bed. I'll take an updated pic and post it soon.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts