The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the PENS Stanley Cup Championship and parade to the 116th US Open at Oakmont for a record 9th time, The 'Burgh is buzzing with activity.

They get started in the morning. Lookin' like the weather may play a factor tomorrow.

Who ya like? I'd like to see Bubba. His length takes all of the fairway bunkers out of play. It's just a matter of if he can hit the fairways and keep the ball on those greens.

Gonna be a fun tournament!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bubba is a solid pick! I like Dustin Johnson. After coming so close to winning it last year, I think he gets his redemption this year. He's also been playing pretty well this year, although he's had some issues closing tournaments out.

I'll be there tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I don't even know if he's playing, as I don't follow golf much, but McIlroy seems like a good dude. I'm pulling for him.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think golf is better when the same few players contend in all the majors. I'd like to see Spieth or Day at the top of the leader board.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Esox_Hunter said:
Bubba is a solid pick! I like Dustin Johnson. After coming so close to winning it last year, I think he gets his redemption this year. He's also been playing pretty well this year, although he's had some issues closing tournaments out.

I'll be there tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it.
You'll have fun. Dustin is another good pick.

I went down this past weekend and the course looked mean and ready. That rough is unbelievably thick and high.

I have some very fond memories from '83 and '94. Freddy Funk was an absolute hoot in '94. My father in law and I were walking up along #2 and here comes a ball into the rough right by the rope we were walking along. Noone else was around. My fil says lets stand here to see who is coming. Well here comes Freddy and his caddy. He walks up to us and asks us if we seen a ball come up this way. We said, yes it is right here. Mind you, the ball is sitting in 2 ft high rough. He looked at us and said..."What the frick do I do now? You guys have a weedeater that I could borrow?"

After a few good laughs, he hit the ball back out in the fairway, told us Thanks for the laughs, and proceeded on with his round.

ps: he didn't say frick, but I had to clean it up for here.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adam said:
I don't even know if he's playing, as I don't follow golf much, but McIlroy seems like a good dude. I'm pulling for him.
Adam, Rory is playing. And you're right, he does seem like a good dude.

Actually, I have yet to meet a professional golfer or professional bowler that weren't great guys to talk to. Never played golf with any of those guys, but I spent alot of time bowling with some of the professionals at the pro-ams in Harmarville and Erie. Just down to earth guys.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tpr25 said:
I think golf is better when the same few players contend in all the majors. I'd like to see Spieth or Day at the top of the leader board.
I like both of them as well.

There's just something about the unorthodoxed way Bubba pounds the ball around a golf course that I like to watch.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
good ole boy said:
Where is this course at?
If you drive the PA Turnpike, Oakmont is between Monroeville and Allegheny Valley. It actually has two golf cart/pedestrian bridges that crosses the Turnpike.

Interesting article in Sports Illustrated Golf Plus special mag - they made a point that no where else could a course be bisected by an Interstate highway and host a major.

Some incredible history there. While they have had to try to lengthen the course, the space does not exist to make it 7800 yards. But Oakmont still puts the best in the world to the toughest test with that layout and those greens.

I was there in the heat of 1994. What an incredible course. What they call "tees" I would call "greens", and what they call "greens" I'm not sure I have a word for them. We were there on Saturday, and we watched them set up a couple of the starting holes for Sunday. When they Stimped balls to check the speed, it was something I could not imagine trying to deal with. F-A-S-T.

I kinda would like to see a first-time winner. I'll go with Dustin or maybe Sergio.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Congrats to Dustin Johnson

We were there on Friday and other than how muddy everything was and how expensive food/drinks were, we had a great time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts