The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This winters project. Isaac Haines rifle. Rice match grade "C" weight swamped barrel in .54 cal., curly maple stock, brass hardware, wood patch box, Siler lock, set triggers and probably some carving. Very happy with this piece of wood, has good curl throughout. A lot for wood to take off the butt stock, lock area and barrel area, I really want to slim this one down.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have the rest of the parts by mid week, but have plenty to keep me busy for now. Probably start on it Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Nice curl in that piece!

Have you every built from a blank??

After 2 precarves and 1 blank, I don't think I will mess with precarves. Doesn't really save much time. And I'm not stuck with their alignment and everything.

Also easier to inlet and drill pin holes into a square blank...

Just seemed to go much smoother for me.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not done a blank yet, but don't see that it would be a problem using one. I think at times, as you are saying, it may be just as easy or easier. Sometimes having to take a little off in critical areas can be nerve racking, when it could have been done closer in the first place. Alignment has never been a problem on any of them. I do think that Log Cabin has a nicer precarve than Track does but in the end it doesn't really matter they both have nice wood. I also am liking Rice barrels too. Colerain makes a terrific barrel, but I just don't like all the file work to smooth them out. I have both and they are good accurate barrels, so no complaints there. I'm excited to get on this one, I think it will be a nice carrying gun when it is finished.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I build one a year, this being the time of year when I have the time. I have rifles made for my 2 kids and rifles for 2 of my 3 grand children. This rifle will be for my 3rd. I hear there may be another in the future, so I guess I will have another to build after this one. I did build one for my nephew this summer however. After I am done with those, I may build to sell, but not sure I want to do that.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Got the rest of the parts today. For those wondering the cost for a build like this one, $1180.00.

Very nice Blackpowder!! In 2008 I had gunmaker Brad Emig(Cabin Creek) build me a 54 PA Mountain Rifle with lge Silar lock except he used a Colerain barrel. Best shooting flinter I ever owned. Look fwd to seeing your completed gun!! If I had the talent/time....something id love to tackle!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it will be dark brown/dark rust color instead of being blued like todays guns. Its really just controlled rust you can do chemically with heat or in a "sweat box". I use the heating method.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts