The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have been to many different places, to all parts of the world, hunting. Others, well, have only seen the grass on one side. In this post, none of that matters...

I have seen a few different places myself, but not nearly what I would like to see in my lifetime. I love to hunt, and I am not necessarily saying I need to go and hunt these places, because I don't. I would like to visit the Rocky mountains... put my boot on the slope at the bottom and start that trek. I would like to see Saskatewean, or any part of Canada, in the dead of winter.

But there is one place that I know will be in my heart forever, one place that no hunting location on earth will ever replace...

There is a place for me that calls my name... a place that has that certain smell, that certain feeling in the 5am darkness with a flashlight. That certain place engulfs me in, pulls me... I am severely addicted to it...

Everytime I am at the bottom, looking at it, I need to climb it. I need to visit the top.

There is a place, for me, that when I am there, I feel like I am free... I crave this place, I want this place, I need this place...

Without it, I am a nobody. I would be lost without it...

You guys get the picture, right???

There is that one place you guys have hunted, and maybe still do, and hopefully... crave to hunt... you live to hunt this one place...

Whether it be a mountain, a hollow, a ravine, or a small farm. Maybe a small woodlot, or maybe an entire mountain range.

For me, the place I speak of resides in Tioga County. This place, my friends, is where I think about many nights going to bed.

It is a large ravine overlooking the Pine Creek Valley in Tioga County. I hunt it every first day of bear, I make a point to make the trek up to the top, which usually takes 1 hour... in the morning darkness. I will sit for the first half of the day before lunch, and before we start our traditional pushes. I used to hunt deer up there alot, before the seasons were combined. I don't spend near the time here as I would like... but I spend time there nonetheless...

This place is special to me... I hunt alot back around home, alot with the bow, and I can tell you, nothing calls to me like this one ravine. It has it's own smell... it's own feel, and it's own look. It beats the heck outta me like no other. But I love the feeling of letting it slap me around

But when I make it to the top, I am free. As free as an eagle gliding over a valley. I feel like I am king of the world. No other place does this to me.

While I have treestands back home, and certain hollows or ravines I like to hunt in other places, there is nothing that compares to "my special place"...

I get to the top, lean my back against the same 75 year old hemlock every year, and watch the gigantic ravine below me. I watch Pine Creek snake it's way through the enormous valley below. This hemlock, which is named "Big George", hugs me. It cradles me and protects me, and when I am snuggled up next to it, I feel safe.

I watch all kinds of critters, that I am most likely the only human they have ever seen, go about their everyday business...

I live for this place, and to be quite honest, I feel like it lives for me too.

This humungous ravine is "that one place" that just calls me, I need to visit it every year... if I don't, my season is not complete.

Tag filled or not, it doesn't matter. Climbing this ravine, feeling that lung explosion and the cold air inside them in the darkness, is special to me. That is my success...

I never feel like I didn't accomplish something after I make the climb... although the real work has yet to begin with our traditional pushes and drives, this visit year after year is a complete success for me. I always come home a happy camper, with a smile on my face...

While we hauled bears out of there before, and my first buck years ago, that is all just icing on the cake...

While I have climbed other ravines in these mountains, this one is very genuine in my heart. It treats me well, has it's own personality.

We know each other well... I have seen the dark side of it, sleet and hail, and blizzards. I have seen the 60 degree sunny days. While some conditions would be considered life threatening, I know this ravine will always hold me tight, and will never steer me wrong. It will keep me safe... the small trickle, and a very small tributary to the Big Pine Creek below, always guides me home.

This, my friends, is my special place. A place I hold dear in my heart. A place where I crave to be.

Here is my ravine... while not the best picture, you can see where I like to spend my time in the fall, and make my yearly trek to the top for my annual stand in bear season... overlooking the Pine Creek Valley, right in the middle of bear country.

No place I'd rather be...

I thought this would be a great opportunity for you guys to share this "special place" as well... pics or no pics, big or small, let's hear where you heart belongs... Let's hear about those places fellas!!!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Nuge,

That's a great story and a fantastic photograph.

I have no pictures, but mine is a little bench about 500 yards behind our old camp in Venango County. My dad took me deer hunting there for the first time when I was 12. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had my K-Mart blaze orange gear, and dad had prepared two coffee cans full of charcoal to keep me warm. We saw some doe that day, but didn't harvest a buck - it didn't matter though, that time with dad is with me forever. He died five years later.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
My favorite place, my one place is a small lot of land I hunt archery and over the years I learned the turkey patterns well. I took my father there one day and basically guided him to his first fall turkey. That spot that day will always last in my memory. I think I enjoyed it so much because when I was 12 he took me out and "guided" me to a 7 point and he at my side harvested a 10 point. The turkey was my chance to return something back to my old man. Not to many people get a chance like that. I even let him shoot a turkey before I filled my tag, now that is love.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have been out west and many places to hunt deer,Elk,bear,Mule deer,many diffrent states mostly out west states for weeks at a time,but there is nothing like being in the woods of PA,montana wyoming,idaho,colorado,utah,they are real nice places to hunt but they really dont compare to walking up the moutain on the first day of rifle.
The damp smell of the rotting leaves the colors,the sounds you just cant beat PA so my favorite spot is right behind my cabin on top of the moutain

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for posting. We all have that place. For me my places are located in Hunterdon County NJ and Walton NY. I moved to Pa 5 years ago and I have limited private property access. I'm hunting small 10-30 acre pieces in suburban areas. For some reason my heart aches for the larger out of the way parcels like what you decribed. Knowing the land so well that if your flashlight ran out of batteries and you were a mile and a half in you could still get back to the truck on experience alone. I have some spots in NJ that I have been hunting with my family for many years and they just bring a special feeling to me. I also have some parcels that I have lost to development. For some reason the developments have unfortunately given me the same feeling I experience when someone has stolen from me. May the spirit live on. Great thread!

·
Registered
351 Posts
One special place that calls my name is the rocky, steep, shady, mossy, cold, north-facing slope of Bald Eagle Moutain. The kind of landscape where it's practically impossible to sneak up on anything quietly. With large rock outcroppings on 100% slopes where every step is taken gingerly until you're only slightly less sure that the rock you're about to tread on will tumble, roll, or slide out of control. I've missed as many deer on this mountain as I've killed, but each time was cool in its own way.

I don't know how many days I've ever gotten up and wished I could've just said to [censored] with everything and grabbed a rifle and gone for a walk there. Guess that's why it's special in that way.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Sounds like we are a lot alike when it comes to that "one place" Nuge. My trek is quite the same, my view not much different than yours and the thoughts it invokes are eerily similiar. Ironically, "my place" overlooks Pine Creek valley as well, albeit in Lycoming county just south of Slate Run. I've been traveling to that camp for 28 years now and each time up is as though it's my first trip, I'm that excited to hike that mountain. I find myself looking down what we call Stradley's Hollow each bear season with nothing but the leaves under my feet to keep me company. I was even lucky enough to take a bear on that mountain in 99 just accross pine creek from Camal.

·
Super Moderator
29,503 Posts
Great post Nuge!!

Like others, I've hunted several different states, and now another country. My "place" is a gamelands back home, more specifically one hollow in particular. Actually, one tree in that hollow would be the place that I most call "home". It was my first deer stand, it was the spot that my Dad, brothers, and others we hunted this mountain with would pass by at least once during the day. It was the odd occasion that someone from my family wasn't standing there. For me it isn't just a good spot for deer in rifle season (it's actually a GREAT spot in rifle), rather its also that "place" that my mind goes to throughout the year, and the place that I go to every chance I get. It's a solid 45 minute walk up the mountain, but I've made that tree, and the rock next to it, the destination for many walks in the Spring and Summer. It's the only place I wanted to be the day my Dad died, and I was there the next day. Rifle season that year was the first time I went there in a few years. I know in my heart that my Dad was standing there with me as my son shot a doe and a buck that morning.
It is the place that when I'm there I feel at home, all is right with the world, and I am calmed by being there.
I haven't been there for five years now, but whenever I get back home I'm sure it won't be long till I make that hike.

Thanks for the post Nuge, and for allowing me to go "home" in my mind for a while

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
every now and then when the stress level runs high, i close my eyes and got to " my place".

this can be at work, at home, in the truck or anywhere else for that matter. in an instant i am alone on the mountain without a worry. the mountains of Elk and Forest county most often fill my mind. perched up high in Moshannon, peering through the endless maze of the blowdowns, that long ago twisters created. hoping for a glimpse of the hulking ebony form that has filled my dreams for so many years.

or I might be a on leasurly afternoon paddling trip with the family on my favorite of P.A's rivers, the Clarion. joining dozens of others in enjoying the natural beauty of the area. the smallies that eagerly snatch up a passing Roostertail. the big Browns lurking in the boulders!!

then there's then seemingly endless backroads that we love to just cruise. exploring unknown places and stumbling upon many wonderful sights.

unfortunatley these things only happen a handful of times each year. that is why i make a mental note of each and store them for later. so, when i close my eyes every now and then and make the trek to "my place", the thoughts keep me longing for more!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
As usual Nuge great post

My special place is also in a deep ravine in Tioga county, looking at the same water that probably snakes past nuge..it is a huge grey rock that I have trekked to many many times..as exhausted as I am when I finally get to this rock it gives me peace,serenity and a feeling like no other.

Although I have only killed a few deer there this is just one of those spots,like Nuge said if I dont make it to this one spot at least one time a year I feel like my season just isnt complete.

And now these last few years up that mountain I can feel it in my legs,my bones that I will not make it too many more years but godwilling every year that I can I will be there..that rock is like an old friend..seems to welcome me every time I sit against it..I will surely miss it when I cant make it..

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow guys... WOW!!!

These were the responses I was hoping for.

Thank you guys so much for sharing!!!

I am very happy to see others in ravines like me too in the wilderness of the north!!!

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
cant't wait to be there myself..........awesome, just awesome tony.....nice post my man!

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
great post tony i have been to the rockies and hunted but i always love to go there when i can but the place that calls my name is brush mountain in penns valley and where my camp is love to be there all the time, i would love to go to canada to hunt sometime

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
SN,

Great stuff again!

Not sure i got one place...I got many and all likely could fill a 10 page post in the memories they bring back.

I'll need to think on this.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Tony as usual a great post ! For me there are a couple one is a big rock on SGL 29 that my late father-in-law hunted off of.I had not been ther but 2 times and the last time was 10 years ago.Bear season last year I walked back in about a mile up the hill and planted myself on that rock with ease af if I walked there everyday.I thought I may have had to wait till daylight to find it but NO. It was if I had a guide leading me to it.
The other is my tree in Avella.Ihave harveted may deer and turkeys in that spot.It is were I taught both of my kids to hunt,were may of handshake of good luck happend with my Dad, and were my heart feels the fullest.Thanks for the post it made my day thinking of those to very special places.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
The one place I absolutely loved to hunt was a woodlot near where I grew up. It was nineteen acres of pasture reverted back into forest. An absolute deer magnet. For it's small size it had just about everything you could want in a deer woods. White and red oaks, apple trees, pear trees, and thick bedding areas.

An old guy that had lived alone for awhile owned it. I'll never forget the first day we met. I was walking up the road and saw some deer off in the woods and was standing there watching them. A voice from behind me yells "watcha lookin' at?". Scared the daylights out of me. LOL I told him I was watching some deer up in the woods and didn't say much after that. He stands there a minute or two watching along with me then says, "You sure don't say much do ya! Ask me something. Why is the sky blue? Why is the grass green?" We started talking about deer and other things and he told me I was more than welcome to hunt his land.

For about ten years I bowhunted and gun hunted a whitetail paradise. I'll never forget the first year they extended archery into November. I have never before or since, seen such rutting action! I took a few bucks including a couple nice ones. I have nothing but good memories of the place. The old man died in '94 and his sister sold the land in '98. What was once a whitetail mecca is now a horse farm and most of the woods are gone. I drive past it once in a while just to look.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Tony,

Another great topic started by you.

I've two places that come fondly come to mind. One is in Tioga county and the other is in Centre county.

Tioga county holds many a memory for me....my first buck, & lots of turkeys, allot of laughs, good times and time spent with cherished friends. Alot of whom have gone on in life, but none the less, they are still embedded deeply in my heart and mind.

The spot in Centre is an awesome place to just view and visit for the cleansing of the my minds sake...It sits high atop a mountain, we refer to as the LL&SL...which is short for LONG LEG and SHORT LEG.....It's that steep and rough to get around on....There is a big rock outcrop at the top of a big hollow, that looks like someone cut out a big seat in it with arm rests on both sides of the seat. I've sat in that place numerous times, while deer and turkey hunting, just to take a break, eat lunch or start my deer season out...

A couple years (?) back, I was sitting on that rock on the first day of deer season. Out toward the town of Howard, I heard a jet coming full tilt coming right at me. It ended up being a pair of Warthog's flying around on a training mission, I'll assume. Anyhow, they flow right over top my stand and I waved my blaze orange hat at them, while they went ZOOMING by me......They made a big loop and were coming right back at me at a much slower speed this time....As they got about 200 yards out in front of me, they turned the jets on their right side, flew over me, just high enough to clear the trees and both of those flyboys gave me a thumbs up from the cockpit.....It was one of the most awesome things, I think, I've ever seen in my life...The awesome power of those jets flying just over head and being able to see those two guys giving me a thumbs up was incredible.....A memory for life in a place, that will forever be etched in my mind & near to my heart.....

Zumer

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
It's gotta be my opening day tree. Made even more special now that my boy took his first deer(buck) there.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Swift said:
It's gotta be my opening day tree. Made even more special now that my boy took his first deer(buck) there.
Congrats to you and your son....
You gotta love the memories with your children.

Continued success, Zumer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts