The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the woods at 5:00 am this holiday morning with the high hopes of arrowing this afternoons dinner. I was greeted with 29 degree temps, high winds and freezing rain. Yippee Ki Ya, I suspected I'd be able to get right in on top of the birds with these conditions. With still two solid hours before daybreak I snaked my way across a cut cornfield and entered the hemlock & beech laden hollow 200 yards above the known roosting area. As I cautiously approached I killed my light and travelled the final 50 yards at a snails pace in the complete blackness. Surprisingly, I could already hear birds talking between the wind gust. This front really had them on edge. I cleared the debris from the base of a large beech tree, laid my bow across my lap, pulled up my hood as the rain began to pelt me, and settled into the 45 minute wait for daybreak. As the sky began to lighten the wind laid down considerably but the rain refused to subside.

The talkative birds were roosted about 75 yards in front of me, but try as I may, I couldn't spot them in the trees. I joined in on the hen talk with my diaphragm and the tree tops seemed to come alive with turkeys. The first bird pitched down to my left about 100 yards out. Not ideal, but not terrible either. I was still in the game and cranked up the calling. Finally, I caught movement coming up the ridge from my left to right. Five birds nearly all the same size were closing the distance as the rest of the flock carried on from the treetops. When the lead bird hit the opening at 22 yards I sent an arrow into her. She was hit hard, staggered 10 yards, and went down again. As I sprung to my feet and ran towards the bird the woods erupted with cackling and thunderous wing beats. What a glorious morning this turned out to be. After tagging the bird and drinking in Gods creation I made my way back across the cornfield as large snow flakes started hitting me in the face. God I love this stuff! Happy Thanksgiving!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Congrats!!

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats....so how was she?
Fantastic! Cut the breast meat into strips, marinated her all day in a ranch dressing mix, and cooked her up on the gas grille last night. Had a couple of buddies over to share the bounty who also brought some adult beverages with them. We spent the evening together telling each other how great of hunters we are. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
I really enjoyed reading that. I haven't hunted fall turkey for many years though I have shot a couple over my bird dog, when I was lucky enough to get into them while they were in season. The past two years we never got into them while pheasant hunting.

We go to my mother's for Thanksgiving every year though. The past two years we have had a large flock come right into the yard while we there enjoying the day. I thought shooting one of them both years, since it would be perfectly legal to do so, but decided I wouldn't enjoy that type of harvest much and gave them a free pass.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts