The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, with Thanksgiving tomorrow, I was wondering if any one had any traditions as far as hunting. For the past several years I usually take my Dad out for bunnies. But this year it won't be.
So my daughter wants to go hunting and suggested squirrel. And she wants to have one for dinner Thanksgiving. So I thought great idea maybe start a new tradition. Now the weather looks very windy and cold, but she's real excited. I hope we can get one. On any other day I'd say it would be easy but this could be difficult.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was just thinking the other day how my Dad and uncles and I always went rabbit hunting in the morning before Thanksgiving dinner. It is no longer a tradition they are all gone now. I'm the only one left now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Sportster said:
I was just thinking the other day how my Dad and uncles and I always went rabbit hunting in the morning before Thanksgiving dinner. It is no longer a tradition they are all gone now. I'm the only one left now.
Sounds like it's time to start a new one then.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think it might be a little late to start a new tradition I will be 78 in February.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
When I was little my dad would take me small game hunting every Thanksgiving morning then when I was old enough to go myself I would until the last few years. I dont have dogs so it would always be squirrels. I need to take stands down tomorrow so thats what Ill be doing all morning.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
When my dad was still with us, he and I and my two brothers would always hunt thanksgiving morning. Even when we were not old enough to hunt we went out with dad on thanksgiving morning.

·
Registered
570 Posts
When my Grandpa was alive we would always coon hunt weds night. Squirrel hunt on thanksgiving before dinner, then coon hunt again thanksgiving night. I will be out in the morning with the dogs squirel hunting for a couple hrs before dinner.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My dad use to take my brother and I pheasant hunting on thanksgiving morning. Now it's just me and tomorrow I will be hitting the grouse woods with the dog.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My Dad always took me and my brothers waterfowl hunting, a tradition we'll be continuing in a few hours. There's no hunt that I look forward to more.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
That was our big tradition many years ago. Hunting bunnies behind my house. In the morning with my dad then after the feast with my cousins to walk off the food in the afternoon. That area has changed a bunch since then. The area right behind my parents house is now forest land and just beyond that is a housing development.

Progress really stinks in some cases........

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got in from the morning squirrel hunt and saw nothing except one crossed the road in front of us on the way home. Daughter made it maybe 5 minutes and said here feet were frozen and wanted to go home. Not want I wanted to hear after just getting there. Hunted for 2 hours walking around tried jumping bunnies for some action. JUmped one no shot.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Havent missed a thanksgiving day hunt in 26yrs...Started with my dad taking us 4 boys 4 small game hunting...Im a waterfowl/ grouse hunter most of the year except this one day...Today i was able to watch my son flush a bunnie and shoot it for his first rabbit ever....And just like my first rabbit at age 12 he got the back legs ALITTLE...But a proud moment....He almost got ran over by a six point we jump in head high grass too.....Anyway a total of 3 bunnies total for our thankgiving day hunt!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Was thinking yesterday of how I used to go with my grandfather on Thanksgiving morning. After he was gone I continued the tradition for many years. I miss those days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts