The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess James Harrison has been let go. I can't say I blame the Steelers, (he will be 35 soon) but at the same time it's going to hurt them for at least this year.

In my opinion he had the best defensive play in SB history and I do not think it will ever be topped.

Don't know about you guys, but I am starting to get a little nervous about this upcoming season.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
It's a shame to see him go. But, you never know the market. Several salary cap casualties around the league. Some good players are out there. Shame the B&G have no room.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Upon hearing the news of Harrison's release, Roger Goddell fined him $75,000.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
I know it's business, but this really stinks. I echo the best play in SB history. In fact, I think it was the best play in NFL history. After that SB, at my old job, I had the newspaper pic of that play hanging on my office door. James Harrison came in to the business one day and I got to talk to him for a while. He was a very soft spoken and NICE guy. From that day forward I bought his jersey and his book and was a James Harrison fan. He autographed that pic for me right across his leg and also autographed a huge "Zero Tolerance" Steeler's defense banner for me. Business is business, but I'm gonna miss him. I would love to sit around, have a few wings and beers and talk football with him and Joey Porter.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I have to agree with the best defensive play in NFL history.

My heart still goes to Jack Lambert though as my favorite.

Great player. Just a hard-nosed blue collar work ethic and you didn't dare mess with him. No fanfare. After retirement he's stayed out of the limelight and went on to do his life's work.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I'm not sure it was the best move at this time, however Worilds is a lot cheaper and he is a decent OLB......

Since they are putting people on the chopping block, how about we get rid of Troy, since he makes an awful lot of money to play 2 games a year....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
I'm not sure it was the best move at this time, however Worilds is a lot cheaper and he is a decent OLB......

Since they are putting people on the chopping block, how about we get rid of Troy, since he makes an awful lot of money to play 2 games a year....
I agree on Troy....I'd rather take his cap hit and sign a young guy like Keenan Lewis with it.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just hope they draft the meanest, nastiest LB in the draft. Right now we do not have anyone that fits the mold.
Going back to the 70's the Steelers always had that one signiture player who always went against the grain and struck fear in the hearts of the opposition.
Lambert, Mean Joe, Loyd, Porter, and Harrison, to name a few.
I remember Joey Porter trying to get Lewis off the team bus because he wanted to fight. Now you got guys like Woodley and Clark praising him.
There is a huge void in the nasty department right now and I don't see any current players on the roster stepping up to carry the torch.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
steelhead125 said:
There is a huge void in the nasty department right now and I don't see any current players on the roster stepping up to carry the torch.
That's because they're not "worried about style points" and they're "enjoying and appreciating the process of playing football." The longer Tomlin is around, the less true Steeler football is around.

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
The scary part is they have no proven guy behind him to take over. Next man up, Jason Worilds? Not exactly an upgrade.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
If they want to continue the Greg Lloyd, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and James Harrison tradition, somebody had better step up BIG.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Was really disappointed today when I had someone tell me that they heard Harrison say that he wanted to be a Patriot because he "really wanted to play for Tom Brady"...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
kudu58 said:
If they want to continue the Greg Lloyd, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and James Harrison tradition, somebody had better step up BIG.
Well, the past two offseasons, the only guy that seemed to be steeping up BIG was Woodely, showing up at TC at nearly 300lbs and way out of shape...

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
Was really disappointed today when I had someone tell me that they heard Harrison say that he wanted to be a Patriot because he "really wanted to play for Tom Brady"...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
Wow, is Brady the coach up there now? Or the owner?

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
I think there are enough good OLBs in the draft that they can get a guy who will be, at least servicable, if not great. LB was an area of need before Harrison was released; now it has to be top priority.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Danesdad said:
I think there are enough good OLBs in the draft that they can get a guy who will be, at least servicable, if not great. LB was an area of need before Harrison was released; now it has to be top priority.
How true DD. They should be able to find a replacement at LB. But as usual, it'll all come down to money. As a side note, I see Mike Wallace may have signed with the Dolphins today. Funny, he wasn't holding out for Larry Fitz money. I'll let someone else start that thread.

·
Registered
9,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wallace got 60 million and I think 30 of it was guaranteed from Miami. This will probably be the biggest signing in free agency. Could pay off for the Dolphins or he could end up being a bust. Too much of a risk if you ask me.
Usually I am pretty optimistic about the Steelers but this season looks like it may be a rough one. The roster looks weak.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts