The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you gentlemen can recommend a good outfitter for whitetails in Texas? I have a buddy that wants to go down and is looking for a quality hunt.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
CROW MASTER said:
cha-ching---------$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I cant believe the prices for a Texas hunt.
How's that? If you stay away from high fences and the more famous south Texas ranches there are lots of hunts for under $3500, most include hogs and the bucks are very nice.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
Here's one I found in a few minutes surfing:

LOW FENCE WHITETAIL DEER HUNTING

-This hunt will be done on our rifle hunting ranches. These ranches are open to bow hunters as well. The hunt is 3 days and 2 nights. Transportation on the ranch will be provided for you while you are hunting. This is a semi- guided hunt.

-1 Mature Buck

-Unlimited Hogs

-1 Turkey

-1 Bobcat

-Unlimited Predators

-1 Javelina

-Lodging (4 Days/3 Nights)

-Meals

-$2,200 Per Person - **(If There Is No Kill You Will Be Refunded $1,000.)**

This outfitter also offers other hunts including combo high/low fence (2 management bucks) for $3500, and high fence for up to 140" bucks for $2500 and of course the price goes up as the score goes up.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
Another hunt for $1249!

3 DAY TROPHY HUNT WITH LODGING AND A GUIDE TO TAKE YOU TO AND FROM THE STAND,, YOU CAN TAKE A TROPHY BUCK AND PLEASE SHOT AS MANY OF THE WILD HOGS THAT YOU SEE AFTER YOU GET YOUR BUCK DOWN ,,NO DOE KILLS ON A 3 DAY TROPHY HUNT FOR $1249.00 WE HAVE NO OTHER ADDED FEE'S TO YOUR HUNT !!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
loridr said:
CROW MASTER said:
How's that? If you stay away from high fences and the more famous south Texas ranches there are lots of hunts for under $3500, most include hogs and the bucks are very nice.
Can't think of anywhere else I would rather deer hunt than Texas. Shop around, there are a lot of low-fence operations around, and a lot of outfitters have dropped prices in the last few years. You should be able to get in under $2,000.

·
Registered
806 Posts
wow, some pretty reasonable prices, flights for $400.00 out of avoca, what do you do with the meat? the cape and head? how do you get that stuff back to PA?

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
CROW MASTER said:
wow, some pretty reasonable prices, flights for $400.00 out of avoca, what do you do with the meat? the cape and head? how do you get that stuff back to PA?
Maybe Kudu or Big will chime in as they have a lot more experience flying to hunts than me, but when I do fly I pack antlers in my big duffel along with my hunting clothes; If I want a mount I use the taxidermist that the outfitter uses and have them ship it when finished. I usually donate the meat to the local food bank through the outfitter but you can fly a small cooler back on most airlines for an extra baggage fee, I even flew a cooler of caribou meat back from Alaska one time.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Maybe I will chime in....There are a number of ways to get that meat home. If you have a butcher process it in TX, I'm sure they can ship it to you when they are done. I like to hang my deer for a few days anyhow, so if you're on a tight schedule flying home that can be good. Also depends on whether the butcher WILL hang it for you. Many of them are get them in, get them out, to maximize their space and money. May cost a bit more this way.
A good way that I've employed in the past. And I prefer to process my own game, but I've taken a vacuum sealer on trips with me. If you have time, and want to, you can cut the deer how you want it and vacuum seal all of it. Just leave it in a walk-in cooler until you're ready to go home.
Most, if not all, airlines will stipulate a waxed cardboard box or a styrofoam one, like used for fish and seafood, that will not leak. If you have the meat vacuum sealed then refrigeration, or leakage, is not a big issue if you were just flying home from TX. Wrap all seams of the box with the heavy wide cello tape and then go over it again with duct tape to make extra sure.
The most hunter friendly airline I've ever flown on is Alaska Airlines. I flew a caribou home with me and had blood leaking out of it all over. (I didn't vacuum seal that one.) Surprisingly, nothing was said or done when I got home, but boy did I get some strange looks loading blood leaking boxes into my truck at the Pittsburgh Airport. Likely, you would not get as lucky as I did.
Pack the meat into less than 50 pound boxes and take them as extra checked baggage. Alaska Airlines charged me $50 for the first box and $25 apiece after that one. If they are more than 50 pounds, you will pay an oversized fee.
For the antlers, I do like Lo said and put them in my big Cabelas bag. Take some 1/2 inch pipe insulation with you and fit them over the points to protect them. Stuff them in the middle of the bag and put a bunch of clothes around them also and you will be fine.

All depends on what you want.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
All great points above! Another is the outfitters themselves. They will help you out and suggest the best method to get your meat & trophy home safely. Some will already have sealers and wax boxes. If I tag out early I'll usually take my animal to a butcher shop the outfitter suggests. Have them flash freeze your meat and hide. Box them up right before your flight and your home free. I prefer to drive to most of my hunts but sometimes you have no choice. Some airlines as certainly more friendly to hunters than others. As Kudu58 stated about Alaskan Airlines and I will second that. They are awesome!

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Uncle Nicky said:
loridr said:
CROW MASTER said:

Can't think of anywhere else I would rather deer hunt than Texas. Shop around, there are a lot of low-fence operations around, and a lot of outfitters have dropped prices in the last few years. You should be able to get in under $2,000.
I had a chance to hunt a ranch in Texas for free a few years ago.All it would have costed me was transportation.For some reason,I just had no interest.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
kudu58 said:
If I had a chance at a buck, a Rio Grande turkey and a javalina I would love to go on a trip like that.
And don't forget the authentic southern food, BBQ, and Mexican food that you can find in camp or the local cafe.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Lots of good info!!
I did a spring aoudad/turkey hunt last spring. Most large ranches have some huntable numbers of exotics. The wife went along, we flew into San Antonio where we spent a few days(Alamo,River Walk, and food are amazing). Ranch we hunted with did the flash freezing of hides and meat. No problems getting everthing back to Pa. It's part of their business, you just need to ask before getting there to know what your dealing with.
We both had a great time,saw lots of deer and turkeys,and plan to do it again spring of 2016.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts
Ralph46 said:
You guys that posted some hunts you left out the names of the outfitters. Please post. Thanks.
Ralph, the hunts I posted I found on a quick Google, first few outfitters that popped up.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ralph46 said:
You guys that posted some hunts you left out the names of the outfitters. Please post. Thanks.
Sign up for the Texas hunting forum...lots of reasonably priced hunts offered in the outfitters section, or you can create a thread describing what you want in a hunt, and outfitters will contact you. Also, Premier Hunting Adventures (sponsor for this site) has a few decent Texas hunts offered, I can vouch for the Panhandle hunt, great outfitter and excellent hunt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts