The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a very long drive from El Paso Texas last night. Our hunt was based out of Shafter but after the hunt we had to pick up the last of my brother's household goods. He is retiring from the Army after 22.5 years at the end of the month. We had five guys in camp. My brother's Dave and Brian, a friend of mine Zack, and a friend of Brian's from the Army, Brian R. Consider him a friend of mine as well now! Brian, Zack, and Dave got auodad. Brian R. had missed a few but the shots were quit difficult at running auodad. I never got an opportunity at a sheep but did have some great stalks on some huge rams. Just seeing them was worth the long drive. I hunted this ranch 5 years ago and seen a lot of game. It was colder then and the weather this hunt was much warmer. I believe that is why I didn't see that much game this time out! I did manage to take some quail and a nice boar javelina the last day. Dave also took a javelina. We doubled while pushing out a dried up creek bed after a failed stalk on a huge ram just below camp! Never heard so many coyotes in my life. I also missed one the second day. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Good huntin'

Dave's huge ram

Zack's big ewe

Brian's best ram to date

Double on javelina

Packing my javelina back to camp

My first Scaled Quail

One of the many caves on the Three Sisters Mountains near Shafter Texas

Camp

Mountains around camp

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Great pics! Looks like a great time. Congrats on the cool critters!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe going back in January of 2014 if your interested. Gas, license, food, trespass fee, and incidentials around $1200.00.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Anyone who knows how to predator hunt could have done well on coyotes! They were everywhere. Our group isn't well educated about predator hunting! Maybe we will be on the next trip there!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It certainly means a lot to him! Yesterday was a very emotional day for him. His last as a soldier! He will be pursuing another career in law enforcement!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Congrats to you and your buddies!

I lived in Alamogordo,NM for a few years when I was in the service. Sure do miss the mountains.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
AWESOME adventure!! Thanks for sharing it with HPA!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
definitely interested in this hunt.I'd be trapping those yotes and cats.The cats out there would easily pay for the trip.An auodad is something I'd really want to hunt for soon.If I don't draw my wy. elk tag,thats what i'd want to do instead

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't get those 3 huge rams out of my head that got away on me! If anyone is interested in tagging along next January on this hunt let me know. I'm going to book it again. $800.00 for trespass fee, $48.00 for Texas license, and of course travel, food, and gas for generator! This is an extremely tough hunt and the better shape your in the more fun and success you'll have. Max number of hunters 6! Five opening left!

Price of hunt includes javelina, coyote, fox, quail, aoudad sheep, rabbits, bobcat, and mountain lion!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You'll be down to 4 openings if my elk tag doesn't get draw this month in Wy.I already have alaska booked so one other trip is it this year

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Sounds like quite a trip! How long did you go for?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Very tempting offer! I hope you fill up your openings.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a great trip at a very reasonable price! Aoudad are very impressive animals and can make you look silly as they have done to me this last trip. These are free ranging sheep from Africa. They were brought into Texas during WWII and now there are more in Texas than in Africa. They also make an awesome mount. My brother is life sizing his from the last trip. If no one wants to tag along I'll still be chasing them by myself but it sure makes for a boring camp hunting alone! Javelina are also neat critters and when you hunt them on some ranches they charge you anywhere from $500 to $1000.00 in trophy fees.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts