The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a gorilla lt climber stand at gander mountain this week. I went looking for a new stand since mine old one grew legs and left! Wasn't sure what I wanted to spend I was figuring 250$-300$ for a new one. I get to gander mountain and they one left for $99!! I talked to the guy for awhile he said he bought one himself and they been selling like crazy wasn't sure why they were selling so cheap but I figured I couldn't go wrong for $99! I write this from my phone in the new stand. Weight wasn't a big issue for the half mile walk to the location I'm at. Shoulder straps could use some pads. Climbed up the tree great once you get used to your legs strapped in with a bungie cord. I'm roughly 20-25 feet up it's rock soild in the tree. Came with a nice body harness. If your a larger person it can be kinda tight. I'm 160lbs 5'8" and it's very comfortable. Only thing I'm going to add is a bar for a footrest, holder for my bow, and maybe a bag or tray for easy access to my gear. If your looking for a stand and your local gander mountain still has some for $99 I would really look into it. Also to add while writing this I had two amazing turkeys walk right under me and thru. Thick rope beards!!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Good luck with it. The ones I saw were made of steel and very heavy.

As far as the straps go I would get some aftermarket straps. I got some paddded straps for my Summit openshot. The thin pieces of garbage they send with them are junk. I think they would have been better off with dental floss. I got my straps at either Dicks or Gander mountain for about 15 bucks. Worth every penny I paid for them.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I personally use an API grand slam mag supreme..I wouldnt trade that thing for the world! I love that thing!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I too was testing out my new summit this morning. Carrying in was no big deal and the cllimb was failry easy. Didn't really like how the seat stowed away while climbing, kinda got in the way. Also, the pack straps that connect the seat to the platform got stuck against the tree while climbing. Need to reroute them so that doesnt happen again. All in all, liked it very comfy at 20'.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ive got an ameristep grizzly climber that i bought 7 years ago. Its really light weight. Its made out of aluminum, it has a detachable front rail and it was fairly inexpensive when i bought it. Climbs great and its really stable. The only issue that ive ever had with it is that the bears seem to like the taste of the seat too much. Other than that the back pack straps could be a little more comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts