The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
made a few shots today to make sure the enforcer would be on with 175 grains instead of the 100 grain feild points I had it dialed in with. heres the results from the quick 5 minute session.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
going to a heavier BH really only slows down your arrow, at the start....but it holds it's speed better down range over a lighter arrow with less drop, plus it gives higher KE down range over lighter arrow....i don't know why all these guys talk bout speed, speed, speed when a good solid heavy arrow will do a better job every time over any lighter arrow
....how many times have you heard there expandibles didn't open with a light arrows, put some weight behind that expandible and you will have no troubles
........bob

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid that 175 grain feild tips would be a but much but there was little to no diffrence to them and 100grn feild tips. had some issues with the crosspro fx 100grn broadheads. so I wanted some thing heavier and it looks like ive found just what I was looking for,which is the slick trick xbow tricks. need to buy a broadhead target to shoot them on but the 175 grain practice tips that came with them have me very impressed so far. note that the group in the pic was standing freehand at 25yds, on a bench i would probably have been busting arrows.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Turkey, I had the same results with my xbow. Increased the weight up front and my groups tightened up. I went with the Slick Tricks as well, and they worked great. Good luck and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I shot the American Broadhead Company Bolt Sonic Broadheads this past season which are 150 grains. I was impressed with them. The groups were excellent even at long ranges.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skin-man said:
Turkey, I had the same results with my xbow. Increased the weight up front and my groups tightened up. I went with the Slick Tricks as well, and they worked great. Good luck and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cspot said:
I shot the American Broadhead Company Bolt Sonic Broadheads this past season which are 150 grains. I was impressed with them. The groups were excellent even at long ranges.
you had a great season ,congrats again. them sonics look like a good solid broadhead.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Getting the correct forward of center is important. If the 175 grain heads are working well in your crossbow I wouldn't change a thing. But, I will offer a few suggestions and the reasons I think it might be better.

Strictly my opinion here, but I think that adding weight to the front of a shaft will only take us so far in finding what we are looking for. All you are doing, is basically changing the spine of the arrow to achieve a different result. There is a better way to get to what you are searching for. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm trying to help and this is just a suggestion.

I've had some great results with this arrow and you might too. I glue a 10 1/4 inch peice of XX75 in 1915 spine into the front of a carbon shaft (I prefer Victory, but it will work in Gold Tip Laser II) just behind the brass insert. What you are creating is a dual spine arrow - stiff in the front and not so stiff in the back section. These are expensive to build but they will allow you to use an 85 grain broadhead. In my testing, I've found the 85 grain heads to be the most accurate. If your goal is to have the most accurate arrows with some added weight to maintain downrange energy they are worth building. Put some Blazer or Fusion vanes on them and walk them back to 100 yards just for fun. You will see what I mean.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for posting arrowhead, what have you found to be the most accurate factory arrows with no modifications?
you pretty much got it right, I was looking for a heavy well built broadhead to help retain down range energy and hit hard. I think I found what im looking for but in the near future I want to experement more with arrows to see if I can get some very impressive groups.
thanks again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great input Arrowhead.... Ya got my full attention and wanna know more, just like Turkey4life. Sounds like there alot of options out there for us and i think your the man we need to talk to.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The most accurate factory built arrows I have tested to date were the Victory X-Bolt. I tested over a wide range of crossbows with both flat and moon nocks. The Gold Tip Laser III is also a very good arrow.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
arrowhead said:
The most accurate factory built arrows I have tested to date were the Victory X-Bolt. I tested over a wide range of crossbows with both flat and moon nocks. The Gold Tip Laser III is also a very good arrow.
gonna have to give them a try sometime over the off season.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Had some questions, so here is the disclaimer:

This arrow will work great, but by no means is it meant as an arrow designed to shoot at game to extend your range to any unethical distance. Crossbows are still a short range weapon. I often shoot 100 yards just to see what they are capable of and to add a little spice to life.
I shoot thousands of arrows each year and my maximum comfortable range at game is still 40 yards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts