The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to use my local archery shops indoor range today due to the sub freezing temps. While there I got a chance to play with the Mathews Chill, Hoyt Charger and PSE Hammer and had a blast doing so. I am amazed at how much more advanced new bows are over my 3 yr old Maxxis 31. The Chill and Charger just blew me away. Especially the charger at $650 w/ the Fuse package. All 3 were smooth on the draw and really quiet after the shot. But for me the Chill and Charger just felt like you could hold them at full draw literally all day long and were completely dead in hand after the shot. The Hammer felt much like my Maxxis 31, the slightest bit of creep and it wanted to go and also had a slight vibe after the shot but it was fast. Nothing that would stop me from buying it though. Honestly, one couldn't wrong with any of these bows. I guess to break it down for you guys....Chill: Blacked out w/ blue dampners was downright beautiful! Ridiculously smooth draw and at 80% letoff you could easily hold it at full draw for while. After the shot, was dead, no vibe at all. Back wall was nice, wasn't as solid as some of the other Mathews I have tested in the past but definitely not spongy. The Charger: the finish was camo and in my opinion pretty bad. You could see somewhat of a seam running down the back of the riser. If I bought one I would go w/ a black riser. But much like the Chill, smooth draw cycle, similar back wall, dead after the shot and whisper quiet. But again, the camo finish was sub par at best. The Hammer: Finish wise I have always like PSE's camo patterns and quality finish of the finish on their bows, and the Hammer was no exception. Draw cycle was smooth, back wall was super solid, but it just felt to "wound up" for my liking. Alittle vibe after the shot, but again, the bow is fast. To sum it up, if I found $1000 in my jeans pocket while doing laundry, I would buy the Mathews Chill, but if I can scrape up $650, I will give the Charger a second look. Here are the specs for each bow as I shot them, each was outfitted w/ a Whisker buscuit and peep wxcept for the Hoyt which had the full Fuse package installed:
Chill
DL: 26"
DW: 60#
Letoff: 80%
MSRP: $949

Charger w/ Fuse package:
Letoff: 75%
Msrp: $650

Hammer:
Letoff: 75%
MSRP: $750

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
wouldn't the spyder be a more apples to apples comparison with the chill?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just talked to my shop guy and he said he has been inpressed with the Hoyt Spyder 34 and the Hoyt Spyder 30 as well as the Strother XT so far this year. He also mentioned Stevens Archery. The first time I have ever heard of that company.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I beleive the Stevens bows are another Kevin Strother creation. I won't get anywhere near that sinking ship.

·
Registered
766 Posts
bigbear said:
I beleive the Stevens bows are another Kevin Strother creation. I won't get anywhere near that sinking ship.
I am shooting for Stevens this year and have talked to the owner of the company(Steven) about this and he said that Kevin Strother has had nothing to do with Stevens Archery. So please don't let that sway you from at least taking a look at the Stevens lineup of bows.

I am shooting the Stevens Inception. I actually just got it last week and haven't had a chance to get it fully set up, but it is a really nice shooting bow. Blazing fast and completely dead in the hand at the shot. I am going to post up a little review next week once I have everything set up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i shot hoyt for a long time before i went bowtech.. ill probally keep shooting bowtec for years to come unless they quit making solid limb bows. My buddy just bought the new spyder by hoyt an he loves it..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am pretty sure Strothers has nothing to do with Stevens archery!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
you guys are right. my mistake. i was thinking he was designing them. i thought the rumors were he is now involved with xpedition and obsession.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I dont care what Rupe is saving, you are correct. Kevin may not be involed now, or ever, but thats where he got the design. Xpedition and Stevens bows where identical.

Obsession is still using him everday, and the other two just bought the designs from him

On a side note. Rupe is a heck of a nice guy, and they now have alot companies using there camo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts