The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone on this forum keep and work terriers or hounds fox hounds with english bloodlines ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
gamekeeper, you will find the US and PA specifically have much different game laws around working terriers than your native land. States other than PA are much more open to working terriers. In PA we are not allowed to dig to dogs per our game code. Hounds we have and run in a similar manner but without the formality of the large hunts in England.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually, there are huge hunts with lots of hounds chasing fox in SE PA. Howeber, I don't think and red coats are involved with this site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking more along the lines of using english fox hound crosses for coons etc ,rather than the more traditional fox hound packs of which i am familer with . any badgers in your state

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There is a group of guys around me that run the formal packs of fox hounds. Ride horse back, wear the red coats, the whole 9 yards. He gave me permission to run rabbits on his property and was explaining it all to me when I was BS'ing with him on his farm that day.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
The Sewickley Hunt run hounds from horseback. It's more of a yuppie thing than hunting though.

Years ago, I would see the houndsmaster pulling a drag. He said he hoped they don't find a real fox or it took half a day to get them back.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lick Islander said:
The Sewickley Hunt run hounds from horseback. It's more of a yuppie thing than hunting though.

Years ago, I would see the houndsmaster pulling a drag. He said he hoped they don't find a real fox or it took half a day to get them back.
I want to say these are the same guys that I seen around where I hunt. He told me when he goes to a place down around Pittsburgh he is the one that runs the drag. When they run around his farm though up home, they chase real fox.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts