The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping someone has some actual experience with some lightweight/backpacking tents for me.

I need a lightweight tent, preferably 3 man or even 4 man, if there is such a thing in a backpacking tent. Must be waterproof and sturdy in wind. This is for a DIY caribou hunt in Alaska. I really don't care about cost, but it must be a good, quality tent.

I have a 4 man Cabelas Alaska Wilderness Expedition tent, but it is just way too heavy for what I'm doing here. Thanks in advance for any info.

PS-I've been looking at the Cabelas Instinct Scout 3-man tent???

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wish I could help with a brand name, When I did my Dall sheep hunt we stayed in a backpack
tent for 13 days and stayed warm and dry the whole time.
Good luck finding a tent and on the hunt also.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. On my grizzly hunt we had a Marmot and a Kelty tent. They did their job, but were a bit small for my liking which I guess is just part of those type tents. I can't for the life of me remember what models they were though. Just thought I'd ask for some real life experiences before I jumped on something.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Look at what kifaru offers. I don’t own one but they seem to be the most popular among western hunters.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Be aware that 2 man or 3 man tent is very subjective. Some 2 man tents barely hold 1 with gear, 3 man holds 2 with gear. You nay want to consider 2 tents. I have not bought one for 20 years so I'm no help with brands

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you get 2 tents, have a couple of shots of whisky.>:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would check out Kuiu and Nemo Equipment Tents. Yes, they are pricey but they are some of the best tents on the market. I know Nemo just introduced a new 4 season tent that is supposed to be top of the line, but I don't have any experience with it. I only have experience with their ultralight tents which probably wouldn't classify as 4 season or 3 season tents. I also agree wit the one comment. The capacity is always 1 person less than what they claim unless you keep all gear outside of the actual tent. Also, Kuiu has a new tent they released through a crowd funding project that incorporates a stove jack if you are looking for that.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are two of us going on the hunt. That's why I specified a 3 or 4 man tent in the original post. Two tents is really not an option for us. Weight is a big consideration. I need one good tent. Thanks all for the info so far. I will check some of these out.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
We do 1 man tents for sleeping purposes only. Then a tarp for gear. We string it up if able. In the tundra we find a gully and put it across. That's the best to me. Little wind cozy even if you can't stand up. I have slept comfortably with just the tarp on a tundra gully. Not real bear safe though but I felt safer under a tarp then a tent where I couldn't see them coming. Obviously that is completely in my head. It also works well in AK because lots of river banks there are way back from the water. Use the bank as your high point. Gives a nice place to hang out and change gear. Not a huge tarp a 10x12 is fine.

·
Super Moderator
28,402 Posts
Take a look at the Big Agnes tents. I have their big 8 person tent, so no real opinion on the smaller ones. But just going by quality of material and build, I am quite impressed with the tent. The Mountaineering series look to be what you're after.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I really like that Battle Mountain 3 tent. A bit heavier than some others, but still quite manageable. Might be the winner.

·
Super Moderator
28,402 Posts
That one got my attention too. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
You ever consider floorless? You could get a Seek Outside Redcliff with a stove for almost the same weight as the Battle Mountain. I have one, super sturdy. Ive only ran it in my back yard, but it was 20 degrees and I was nice and toasty with the stove going.

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've looked at some of those flourless models but I don't know that they would work for where we'll be. The ground can get fairly swampy and I thing a waterproof floor will be worth it's weight in gold.

I sure wish I had enough weight limit to take along a stove like that though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Some additional suggestions. I do not have the tent that you are looking for, but whatever you purchase should have in my opinion based on my experience and preferences...Poles should be exterior to the body attached by hooks, not slide through sleeves. Poles should be symmetrical or obvious where they are used during setup. Poles should be aluminum. Evaluate how the tent can be set up in a downpour without getting the interior drenched (one of the benefits of a single wall side entrance) Once you have the tent setup in the rain is there enough of a vestibule to protect the interior when you try to get your gear inside. Ditch the cheap stakes and get some MSR groundhog stakes (or cheaper knock-offs). Replace guy lines with reflective para-cord, or reflective Dyneema or spectra to shave off more weight. I use a slip knot with half hitch vs the metal tensioners but I have had good success with shinetrip tensioners (amazon) but they have to be for the proper string diameter. Set up your tent applying pressure to the lines and soak it down on a sunny day. Let it dry while taking up the slack from stretching from being wet then apply seam sealer once dry even if factory sealed. Look on some of the ultralight backpacking sites for reviews\ideas also, but be leery about going too light as it may not hold up under harsh weather\setup conditions. You may need to evaluate your use as to limiting your search to a 4 season tent?

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. You've all given me a lot to think about. Fortunately I've got a little time before I have to make a decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts