The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to buy a new tent. I have decided that I want a tent that is big enough for a few guys and gear to be able to fit in. I think that I will be going with a 10 person, maybe a 12 person tent. What tents have you guys used and would recommend? I have looked at a bunch of different reviews, but it is still difficult to pick one out. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I know you said ten man. But I have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Model tent- the 4 man version- and it is awesome. They make an 8 man model that is 12'2"x13'7" in size and comes with a storage vestibule.
I have slept in some absolute monsoons in that tent and not gotten wet. Also some high winds and it handled it. Don't know if the 8 man is big enough for you, but I recommend that tent to anyone and it's easy to set up.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! If anyone else has any more input, I am all ears. These tents are pretty pricey, and I don't want to make a bad purchase.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
I keep looking at the Cabela's West Wind tents. The review well as well, not as expensive as the Alaskan Guide models.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
huntergreen said:
So I am looking to buy a new tent. I have decided that I want a tent that is big enough for a few guys and gear to be able to fit in. I think that I will be going with a 10 person, maybe a 12 person tent. What tents have you guys used and would recommend? I have looked at a bunch of different reviews, but it is still difficult to pick one out. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Many people who look for a large tent over look historical options such as a Marquee. Not easy to pack in somewhere....but it you have 10 guys....

Panther Primitives is one maker.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Have you considered the 10'x20' carport type enclosures? We use one in Colorado and Quebec as a cook shelter/gathering place. Get the sides and zippered end panels and will hold up to all kinds of weather.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably would not ever have 10 guys in the tent. But I wanted something big enough to be able to store all my gear and whoever else would be going. More than likely it would not have more than 4 guys. I like the air freshener idea!!!

Side note: went to Montana 2 years ago and was out there for 2 weeks without any running water. That was some kind of experience I will never forget. lol

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I spent 12 straight days in the wilderness in Alaska with no running water. (Other than the stream we were camped next to.) We were a ripe bunch by the end of that. I think the only thing that saved me was the 3 large packs of baby wipes that I took with me. I got a "bath" about every third day with them and my companions were begging for them when I broke them out.

They are also very good for "toilet" cleanups.

One time I bit the bullet and just immersed my head in the stream and washed up a bit. Coldest water I've ever felt!!!! But refreshing indeed. Those shower bags can be worth their weight in gold and I've been taking them ever since that trip. Feels kinda weird standing outside buck naked and getting a shower, but heck you're in a wilderness area and there's nobody there to see anyhow.

Seriously though, from what you're describing, I think the 8man Cabela's tent with the vestibule that I mentioned previously would be perfect for you. It is that good. Read the 450+ reviews on their site for it. I think once you used that tent, you'd forget all about the price and be glad you had it. For equipment that can save your life, to me, price is irrelevant anyway. Good luck with your search, purchase and your hunting.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up getting the 8 man tent you talked about. There was a review on youtube with two guys stuck for 4 days in that tent on Kodiak Island. The weather was a monsoon and 60-70 mph winds and they didn't get a drop of rain in the tent. After I seen that video, I went directly to cabelas and bought that tent. lol.

Side note, I wanted to get the tent with the aluminum poles, but did not want to spend $850 for it. So I bought the tent with the fiberglass poles, and bought the aluminum replacement poles. Ended up saving me about $200.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I am confident that you will be happy and impressed with that tent. The one I have has the fiberglass poles as well. I don't think I've slept in 60-70mph winds, but I've slept in some strong winds with no issues. It will be no problem to stay dry in that tent. I haven't even treated mine with anything and I stay dry.
Can't wait to hear your first review of it.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Make sure you get the floor liner too. Worth every penny, especially if you are sleeping on cots that have feet on them. Will help keep from poking holes in the floor.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will make sure I post a review. By the way, the aluminum pole replacements, were for only one pole. Did not end up saving the money I thought I would. lol

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Thought that may have been the case with the aluminum. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how you saved the $250.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts