The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about picking one up for turkey season is the recoil that bad that I should stick with a semi auto or can I get away with a pump ?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
most 10ga guns are big heavy beasts...

is there a reason you are thinking of a 10ga???

really with todays loads and chokes guys are doing things with the 20ga that the 10ga was designed for lol..

when it comes to turkey hunting, the 10ga just isnt needed anymore IMO..some guys really have went to the 20ga because they can get it in a smaller/lighter gun..with the loads and chokes we have now, you can reach out n touch em..

not shooting down your idea...but unless you hunt waterfowl, i wouldnt even consider the 10ga now..i dont hunt waterfowl but id imagine the 10ga may still have an edge there..bigger shell..more pellets..just not really needed in the turkey world anymore..but it will surely get the job done..

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Recoil is directly related to the age of the hunter. If your under 30 years old get a double barrel 10 gauge, under 50 you can handle a pump, anything older than 50 get a semi.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Beware the BPS 10 !!

If it fits you, it's tolerable. If it doesn't fit you, you've NEVER been kicked that hard in your life !!!

The are an AWESOME turkey killing machine. But they do get heavy if you're hunting big, rough country.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you would like to get a 10 ga. don't let the nay sayers on here talk you out of it. They are great guns and do an awesome job on everything from turkeys to geese to predators. The only drawback that I've ever found is that they are heavy. As far as overkill, dead is dead! I have a couple, a semi, and an o/u. The semi definitely has less recoil but the o/u is a foot shorter.

I'm always puzzeled why anyone would try to talk another fellow hunter out of adding another weapon to their gun collection.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Just to be clear.......... I'm not a nay sayer.

I just want the OP to understand there are drawbacks to reaping the big 10's wonderful benefits.

Although I swapped primary gobbler duty from my BPS 10 to a Super X2 about 8-10 years ago due to less weight and less recoil, the 10 still sees use and completely JACKED a nice longbeard at distance for me 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nothing wrong with the big 10 for a turkey gun. I have a Browning BPS "Stalker" 24". The recoil is manageable as long as you shoot it correctly. I agree the guns are heavy and that IMO is the main drawback, but by being heavy it also cuts the recoil. I have killed several gobblers with my big 10 and it really lays the smack down on them. Dick Kirby of Quaker Boy fame carried a 10 Ga. for years.I also have a couple of 12 ga. 3.5's and even a 3" 20 ga. but I still carry my "Big Boomer" from time to time.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I shoot them all and all have there time and place My goto gun is my sp10 been using one for 20 years and I love it and you don't have yo spend big money for the new wander loads htl tss ect and I kill a bird or two every year with a 11 87 in 20 ga using win xx mag #5 and as trout said the 10 just kmockes the heck out of them nomatter what they do to the 12 it will m
never have the power ot the 10

·
Registered
940 Posts
Goosehunter said:
Recoil is directly related to the age of the hunter. If your under 30 years old get a double barrel 10 gauge, under 50 you can handle a pump, anything older than 50 get a semi.
When I was much younger, 16 or so, a buddy who was a year or two older bought a single shot 10 guage from a guy at work. He nicknamed it "THE PIPE". I watched him shoot it twice, both times he ended up 3 or 4 feet back from where he started......that thing was a beast!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've got 2. A BPS with a 30 tube that shoots fantastic, be it steel BB's for geese or Win. HV #4's or #5's. I just grin once a gobblers within 55 yards. Also a New England Arms single shot. That's my go to gun for longbeards, Win. HV #6's that they no longer make or #5's. I have a red dot on the NE Arms and a scope on the BP's. Keeping your head up on the BP's helps alot with the recoil. I set up a NE Arms last year for a friend with HEVI #5's that's a solid 55 yard gun .Biggest drawback IMO is the amount of rounds fired to find out what the gun likes choke/loads. Expense and physical.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
frank1969 said:
I shoot them all and all have there time and place My goto gun is my sp10 been using one for 20 years and I love it and you don't have yo spend big money for the new wander loads htl tss ect and I kill a bird or two every year with a 11 87 in 20 ga using win xx mag #5 and as trout said the 10 just kmockes the heck out of them nomatter what they do to the 12 it will m
never have the power ot the 10
You do realize that a pellet of the same size/weight going the same speed will have the same "power" whether it's shot out of a .410, or a 10 gauge right? The only thing the 10ga does, is allow you to have more pellets in your pattern so that you might get a more dense pattern. But, with the smaller shot, and the heavier than lead pellets, it's now possible to get patterns better with a 20 gauge, than some guys used to get with lead and their 10 gauges. Also, I'd like to see some of those 55yd patterns with the lead shells. I'm one of those guys that has to see it to believe it, and I have to admit, I'm skeptical.
That being said, if you want a 10, go get it! Pattern it at the range, find the best shell choke combo you can afford to, and go smash some turkey face with it!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
theres no question a 10 ga. is a special gun, where it shines over any other gauge is not in pellet count cause the 3/1/2 inch 12s stay neck to neck with it in bb count and speed and hitting energy, what the 10 has over the others is it bore handles the shot charge and patterns way better then others, when you buy chokes in the $80 to $110 buck range like indian creak, wilson, you now have heck of a 10 gauge, the only thing that comes even close to it would be a 12 ga shooting 3 and 1/2 half inch with a choke that briley makes $85 bucks for turkey hunting its called stright rifling extra full turkey, i have both setups and test many different guns and loads those two for me is wheres its at. good luck to all this season

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
bordon look at the ballistics one is a 12 ga diam the other is 10 you can put mor powder in the 10 than the 12 and further more the 3.5 inch shell may go faster than the 3inch 12 ga look at the drams of powder then the ounces of shot that is how they get you with the 12 ga and then the energy that a 10 has is a no brainer hands down

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Frank, did you look at ballistics?? Shotgun speed doesnt vary much at all... .410 bore to 10ga....1100-1300fps is about the norm...

The only thing the 10ga does is packs more pellets...the extra powder in it is needed to push the heavier charge..doesnt go any faster...the pellets weigh the same regardless of gauge...so no more energy or killing power or anything....just more pellets....which is great if you need them....but, we are talking turkey...dead is dead...and after so far the pellets just dont have the energy to.do the job regardless of how many there are...with loads and chokes we have now 12 and even 20ga have killing patterns out to that point where a shotgun will jist sting and wound...

If anyone wants a 10ga more power to them! I love guns as much as anyone....but i like my turkey/predator guns small and light...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
you mach the same oz of shot in a ten and a twelve with max drams of powder tyere is a difference and as same with energy and further more these new high tec shells have taken the hunting out of turyey hunting its a game to me to hunt them like I was taught get them close ( 25 yards and in ) not 50,60 yards in a field with a 100$ call and a 100$ special camo privet prop ect come with me I just love pressured public land birds and kill my 2 here and in ohio every year. and some day we meet up I will show you what a over bord sp with a bunch of work done to it 15 years ago can and will pattern with lead out to 50 yd that will blow your mind its a 230 av at 40 in a 10 in just devastating in the southern states swamps were I go every year to smash heads

1 - 20 of 61 Posts