The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to put a camper on my property in Clearfield county. I have an electric pole on the property. Wondered if anyone has this type of setup with a temp power box to plug into. Also, what's involved in getting it put in?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If you are saying that you currently have an active/energized power line going through your property, then just contact the power company owning the line.

They should be willing to just put a transformer on their pole and run a line to a small pole (usually your responsibility), and down to a meter base that your electrician will install.

You will need an electrician to run a cable from the meter to an outdoor receptacle (on the same pole) for your camper.

I've seen it done this way many times.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Cost me around $2100 in 2007 with Warren Electric. Had to set an electric pole, wire up a service entrance, and then the electric company ran the line about 120 ft to my trailer. The monthly bill is around $26.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
cost us $ 3000 afew yrs ago, penelec installed an trnsformer and ran underground to a meterbox. paid about $500 for the trench and another $1000 to the electrician for backboard (2,4x4 and 2,2x12 pressure treated)panel,meter. We installed the camper recepticle,sealtite ourselves

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. The energized line cuts through the property to another camp. Luckily, it's only about 25'from where I want to put the trailer.I would imagine I've got deal with the utility company listed on the pole. Says: United Electric Coop, Dubois, Pa. on the pole

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Call the electric company, give them the pole number, and address of the camp, they will send an engineer out to look at it, and come up with a cost. I had to pay a higher cost for the installation being listed as a seasonal customer. I got a good deal on the electrician, $600 for the entrance, a couple other electricians wanted around a $1000 which seemed like the going rate. I than installed the receptacle for the camper plug-in and a 110 outlet. I used a treated 6x6 post for the electric pole. I think its 100-amp service for the box.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Each electric company can and will be different.
I got Tri county and they were fantastic to work with. Two guys came out to the location and told me what can be done and then--what should be done. If my electric was only going to be temporary--1 year temporary, then I could put a box outside on a pole for the service. But,since I was going to use this as my permenant service, I was told that the best way is to go underground. My cost from the electric company was free,if I went underground. they helped me out with picking the correct outside service box and gave me instuctions on how it should be completed. Can't ask for more than that.
I bought the service box at Denny electric,built the wooden wall myself and had the excavation company dig the ditch to specs. Electric company supplied the cable. All was installed in a day. My bills were about $300 for the service box, $100 for the wall,and since my excavation crew was already on property, I think the extra was about $400 for the trench. My PCV sch 40 and sweeps for the encasement ran about $100. I did the wiring to the service box myself. I then had the box inspected and that was I think $75. Total was about a grand and that might be high.
Don't forget to buy a 30 or 50 amp box seperate to power your camper.Whatever the power amp is for the camper.
Good luck!

Big D

·
Registered
25,838 Posts
If it's a co-op, then chances are they'll set a transformer (if a pole is handy) and install a mobile home service on the pole and it won't cost you much?

That's what we did where my cabin is now, back when we just had a camper on that site years ago. I connected a line from their mobile home service to the original small building, then eventually replaced it with a standard 100A service on the enlarged camp.

When that happened, they removed the old mobile home service equipment from their pole and just dropped the new line from the transformer, to the new 100A equipment on the cabin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first step is contacting the elec. co and have them send the engineer out and tell you what they can do. Then you can do all of the work yourself if you have any mechanical abillity. The power co should have a book they will give you that has all the spec's you will need to do the work. When you are done it will need to be insp'd by a cert. elec. inspector that should cost about $100. The material you can get at Lowes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts