The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the CWD prions are in the soil and won't die off how slaughtering a massive amount of deer is going to stop it ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is also no guarantee that CWD can't be spread to humans. So the less deer in a certain area would lead to less prions in soil in a given area. The prions do die but it takes years. But if you left all deer in CWD area to thrive and spread disease at a faster rate the herd would be killed off faster. "Hopefully" they will find a cure before it spreads and wipes out all deer/elk. I would think the goal is to ideally stop the spread but the more realistic goal is to slow the spread until deer develop an immunity or a cure is found. Nature has a way of figuring these things out. No one can say that "a" or "some" deer have been exposed and not contracted the disease do exist.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

There is also no guarantee that CWD can't be spread to humans. So the less deer in a certain area would lead to less prions in soil in a given area. The prions do die but it takes years. But if you left all deer in CWD area to thrive and spread disease at a faster rate the herd would be killed off faster. "Hopefully" they will find a cure before it spreads and wipes out all deer/elk. I would think the goal is to ideally stop the spread but the more realistic goal is to slow the spread until deer develop an immunity or a cure is found. Nature has a way of figuring these things out. No one can say that "a" or "some" deer have been exposed and not contracted the disease do exist.

Not jumping back into the fray on this one but, I think the bolded part of your post is incorrect. Prions aren't alive and can't "die." I believe they have been detected in contaminated soil decades later.

I think the only thing that can destroy them is extremely high temperatures.....>800F. I would need to research that again.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
The deer and elk out west have been dealing with CWD for years and years - decades, actually. Also, I never hear of guys getting their deer/elk tested for CWD when they are successful out west.

The only thing I hear about decimating the deer/elk populations out west is the introduction of the Canadian wolves that are much larger than the American wolves they were trying to "re-introduce".

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not jumping back into the fray on this one but, I think the bolded part of your post is incorrect. Prions aren't alive and can't "die." I believe they have been detected in contaminated soil decades later.

I think the only thing that can destroy them is extremely high temperatures.....>800F. I would need to research that again.
You got it, prions are proteins, not viruses or bacteria, that cause mutation of brain matter, they cannot be killed and they do not die so far as anyone has shown.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts

Prions are difficult to destroy. The last I heard prion infected parts had to be heated to over 850 Celsius to render a prion inactive. Or they believe you can boil prion infected instruments in sodium hydroxide to render the prions inactive.

I am not sure anyone is really 100% certain that prions can be completely destroyed.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Nice link that gives a timeline of some prion based diseases and it is described in layman terms.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/prions/

Here is what is used in the U.S. for sterilization. The scary thing is, there is no agreed upon process, worldwide. If it were me being operated on and I had a choice, I would want "new" equipment, not something that was previously used on someone that had prion based disease and the equipment was sterilized.

https://consteril.com/prion-sterilization-guide/

·
Registered
17,087 Posts
its also being found in plants in CWD areas. if it makes the jumps to humans we are in big trouble.

think about farm crops, like corn and soybean. they get processed into all kinds of stuff that we consume. killing off deer to slow the spread makes sense.

you cant plug a leak while the water is pouring from the hole, you have to stop it or slow it down to fix the problem.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If the CWD prions are in the soil and won't die off how slaughtering a massive amount of deer is going to stop it ?

The Prions in the soil may never contact a deer. Deer to deer contact is the problem. If the herd is thinned enough to limit dispersal this keeps it contained in one area. If anything it buys us time. Better to fight it on one front than across the state. Waugh!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cruetzfel- Jakob disease is chronic wasting for humans. Different prion. The medical term for the condition is spongiform encephalopathy. Spongi says it all. Eats holes in the brain. Diagnosis at autopsy. Read it takes 15 min at 2500 Fahrenheit to destroy a prion. Tough little bugger. Straight out of the pit...

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Cruetzfel- Jakob disease is chronic wasting for humans. Different prion. The medical term for the condition is spongiform encephalopathy. Spongi says it all. Eats holes in the brain. Diagnosis at autopsy. Read it takes 15 min at 2500 Fahrenheit to destroy a prion. Tough little bugger. Straight out of the pit...
Actually, Variant Cruetzfeldt-Jakob disease is the human form of CWD. And cases of that are still turning up (above the average number expected otherwise) today in Britain long after BSE (mad cow disease-the CWD variant for cows)was eradicated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ya I guess you toss the knives, saws, metal bowls, grinder, and everything if your results come back positive. Waugh!
Somebody on this site posted about that not long ago. He shot a deer in a CWD zone, dropped the head off for testing. In the meantime processed the deer and waited for the results. Well the results came back positive, and he posed the question what to do with the equipment he processed the deer with, and can it be cleaned? What about the processors that run through hundreds upon hundreds of deer?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts