The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an old rotary phone at camp. Dial tone is gone but you do hear static noise when you pick up the receiver. Switched out the phone and also the cord from the phone to the wall jack. Same results. Called Verizon and they 'pinged' it or whatever and they say all is good on their end. I thought maybe the line got cut or damaged from somewhere between Verizon's box and the wall plate, but then why the static noise?? I don't know anything about copper phone lines. Any suggestions?

·
6,466 Posts
you should have a box on the outside of the house also known as the N.I.D. take a corded phone that you know works and open the box. there should be a place to plug a phone in it is called a test jack if you have dial tone then the trouble is inside if not it is outside and the phone company has to come out and fix it. there is also no way a phone company can tell you everything is ok on their end without sending a tech out. I am a phone tech for windstream and if you have any more questions you can pm me.

·
Registered
25,838 Posts
Amen! I have Verizon "north" at my camp in Tioga County and it's the worst service imaginable. Not just me, but that entire area around camp.

Couple years ago went without any phone service for over half the two week deer season; Numerous outtages over the years from lightning whacking the switches in a box a mile down the road and other problems.

I usually call the number from home to see if there's even a ring, so there's a 50-50 chance it might work when I get there. Twice I've gotten a busy signal and called their repair service to have it repaired before I go up. They always tell me there's a phone off the hook - I tell them to guess again, because the phone gets put away when I leave.

Their line tests are a joke, as every problem over the past 10 years has been with their equipment, not mine and a tech had to come out to fix them. Most of the time it takes a week or longer to get a person out to check.

·
Registered
470 Posts
pigsty guy is right, mice and rodents are terrible on wiring and insulation, also static on the lines is a sign of a bad (loose) connection or smaller than normal wire diameter, from being chewed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I opened the box but did not see a jack in there. I'll have to look closer. There are two screws that each of the two wires terminate to. That's all I remember seeing inside but I'll check again.

·
Registered
25,838 Posts
While mice do chew on interior wiring, all of the problems I've had at camp, at home and at our rural gunclub with static, stemmed from Verizon's problems with their lines, connections and equipment.

·
6,466 Posts
Trail Cat said:
I opened the box but did not see a jack in there. I'll have to look closer. There are two screws that each of the two wires terminate to. That's all I remember seeing inside but I'll check again.
then your nid is outdated. tell them there isn't a test jack I know we as a company cant and wont bill a customer for a service call if the trouble is inside and the nid is outdated. we will replace the nid and determine the trouble if its inside and you are there and I can fix it quick I will and if its a major repair ill tell you the problem and give you the materials and tell you what to do. next time your going to be up tell them when you will be there and tell them you want it fixed or you will no longer need their services .......bet they come out and get it working for you. I know it is our company policy to get an out of service fixed within 24 hrs and by last years numbers we were around 90 percent successful I believe.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Go out and plug your phone into the verizon box and see if it works just to double check their finding. Just make sure the phone you use is a good one. If it works out there start checking the lines inside. Outside is their problem inside you pay.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
When I first got my camp back in 2000 I had a land line. Frontier Communications was my provider. At that time they were a small, local company. They had a "vacation plan" where I could have them turn off the dial tone when I wasn't there and the monthly rate dropped to $4.00.

Customer service was great, they were based in a small town not far from my camp and I always talked to someone local. After a few years they were bought out by a larger company, customer service was sent out of state and it got to be a real hassle getting a hold of someone let alone getting any satisfaction. Rates went up, the vacation plan went away and service got so bad I dropped the land line altogether.

Luckily, about that same time I started getting cell service if I walked up the ridge behind camp and it has since improved to the point where we can make and receive calls inside camp.

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes, Verizon is infamous for their crappy customer service...some of the worst there is.

No cell coverage at your camp?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had trouble last spring with static and often lack of dial tone.

Did the outside test with same results.

Verizon fount a tree limb over their line, once they cleared that, no problem.

Verizon service in the northern tier is poor. My previous problem two years ago, took a month to correct. At one point I was getting another camps calls and they were getting mine and I could not call out. They had the wires mixed in their service box.

They had trees hanging on their lines along Rt 144 between Renovo and Hamersly for over a year. Only when the Renova paper printed pictures of them, did they trim them off.

I am glad for the phone, when it works. Forget about dial up internet service, way too slow.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
My Idea of phone trouble at camp was when I stepped out of my truck and noticed I had one bar on my cell phone. I told my wife we needed to sell the place and get another with no cell phone service. Luckily, it never happened again. Must have been an atmospheric thing.

·
Registered
25,838 Posts
Pretty much my experiences with Verizon in "my" part of Tioga Co. But it's not just me, since almost everyone that lives around my camp has the same problems with static, loss of service, etc.

One of my newer camp neighbors works for Verizon, but he can't come fix anything unless I call it in and get "on the list".

He was there this past deer season to find out why I couldn't get incoming calls (I could call out). Waited four days for him to be "authorized" to come look at it. Turned out the problem was at the "switching center" in town, 7 miles away. Took them two more days to finally fix it. Second time in three years that I've had no phone or a phone problem for about a week, during deer season.

Our area has mostly buried lines that've been in the ground since the 60s and 70s. Verizon keeps telling us the lines will be upgraded, but nothing has happened yet locally.

They did run a new FO line from town to the box down the road about a mile from camp, last year. And some folks below that box, now have FIOS and DSL, but not us.

Locals are used to crappy phone service, so they just deal with it and wait for relief.

When I graduated from HS in '64, my uncle across the valley still had an oak wall phone at the farm, that you had to click the handset hanger on to get an operator. All party lines back then, with different rings. He'd yell at the neighbors to get off the line, because the more that picked up to listen in, the worse the connection became.

He never had a dial phone until the late 60s and even then, connections were poor. So folks have become used to lousy phone service and most no longer even complain about it. No surprise. The phone company spends money to serve more customers, not to upgrade a few dozen up some hollow that are used to poor service for the past 40 years?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Buckethead said:
My Idea of phone trouble at camp was when I stepped out of my truck and noticed I had one bar on mycell phone. I told my wife we needed to sell the place and get another with no cell phone service. Luckily, it never happened again. Must have been an atmospheric thing.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Tail Cat,
I got rid of Verison, I use Blue Ridge high speed digital for everything now, Computer, TV and Telephone. When ever everyone in Galeton and Gaines lost their Verison telephone due to a bad mountain storm, I had mine and lots of people came and used it. I do not use Verison for anything any more.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Part of me wonders if I should switch to zitomedia since they are right in town (coudersport) and pick up tv Internet and phone. Any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Trail Cat,
Don't know anything about zitomedia, if i were you I would check into what they offer, how reliable they are, and the cost, it might be a good deal, Blue Ridge certainly is.
Pine Creek/Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts