The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I took the bicycle on a nice ride along sections of the Perkiomen and Schuylkill River Trails. It was kind of hot but the wind was rather cooling and all in all a really nice 2+ hour ride. Along the way I met a lot of folks on bikes and an even greater number on foot; all enjoying the sun, weather and the outdoors. Or so one would think... And in that regard I could not help but notice that the very vast majority of the folks walking had their faces practically press against the screens of their hand held communication devises texting away and in fact completely oblivious to the joys of the day. How tragic is that; does everyone need to stay in contact with other people to the extent that they can not even take a pleasurable walk on a wonderful day along a babbling river and creek without texting? I can not imagine anyone having that much to say that they can not put them gosh-darned things down for a minute. Oh, and here is the topper; I saw a young guy riding a bike coming at me on the other side of the trail and he was riding no hands and TEXTING at the same time. How he did this is fascinating and disgusting at the same time. BTW, I have started writing letters to relatives and friends using a sheet of paper and a pen and sending these things off in a stamped envelope. Maybe they won't even read them and failing to recognize them for what they are will call the nearest bomb squad.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I was on the trail fishing today, and I saw two people *gasp talking to each other! They were completely distracted from the beautiful day and stream! One guy even had his ink pen and was writing a letter! How could what they have to say be more important than nature? Obviously I'm not serious, and there are people who live in their phones, but all this "texting is evil" stuff gets pretty old. I mean it's a form of communication. I could agree that those people were missing the day if they were sitting inside using their devices because they didn't want to expose them to the sun or something, but geez these people were out enjoying the sunshine, cell phones or not. Again, I do tend to believe that people spend too much time on their phones, but they are not like the ultimate evil in the universe or something either.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
That's really weird because I was out bike riding the trails and I was texting while riding my bike with no hands and this guy was staring at me. He looked like he was both fascinated and disgusted at the same time. I was wondering how he did that.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
People need to get a life.That,s why I don,t and will never own one of those stupid things.One good thing about texting is that now you don,t have to listen to peoples stupid converstions while your in line at the checkout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts