The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife took some things to the smith today and took a teaser pic of my 338-300rum (338Edge). its coming along nicely and should be done very soon and i should be home soon after.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
looks like a nice collection of parts! Get home safe!!

By the way, what is a 338-300 RUM? Since a 338 RUM is already made, what is the edge?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
designed by shawn carlock of defensive edge. it was originally a "HTIR" (hard target integrated rifle)used for penetrating armor. it is a 300 rum necked up to a 338. the 300 rum necked up allows for more powder than the 338rum. (the 300rum case is longer and the shoulder is further up the casing than the 338rum). will shoot a 300gr SMK around 2800-2850fps(some have gotten it up to over 3000 fps loaded HOT). The 338 provides a roughly 6% edge over the 338 Ultra and about a 3.5% advantage over the 338 Lapua case. those are approximations since all rifles are different. at 1000 yards the edge still produces over 1600 ft lbs of energy and a velocity of over 1700fps with a 250gr bullet. it is also a fraction of the price(nosler brass, SMK) to shoot over the 338 lapua.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Very Nice.

What kind of Picittany are you running on your rig?

Are you using a extended mag (Wyatts?) so you can seat those long bullets to the lands?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Wow! Thats a beauty. What are you naming it? Thumper comes to mind off the top.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys.

ken ferrell base with leupold mark 4 rings.
yes, its a wyatts box. yes, neede to seat correctly and to use as a repeater. i didnt want a single shot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The ultimate long range elk rifle. A 338 Improved Lapua is definitely in my future. I would also consider the Edge like you have, but my gunsmith only has the Lapua reamer. And I want him to build the rifle. I have a 340 Wby. right now. It is one hammer of a cartridge. Good luck with your build, and thank you for your service-come home safe, and bring that puppy down to our 1,000 yard club here in WV!! Tom.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. i know hwta you mean. i bought my reamer from shawwn carlock, it ran me aroun $180. where exactly is the club? i am moving to VA in november when i get home, so i might be able to make that trip.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Havoc, where you going to be in VA? BCOZ Hunter just moved to Ft Belvoir, and I will be nmoving to that area later this year. We can start our own club!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
john, i will be at fort eustis. i ahve been lookin at areas already down there. getting a few people together could work out pretty good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts