The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hello team. I'll volunteer to be the captain if nobody else wants it.

I'm in sales and this is the last weekend of the month so you guessed it, I'm sitting at a desk instead of sitting in a treestand. Good luck to anyone who's out there!

Edit - I do all of my hunting in 2B (besides the first 2 days of rifle opener) and archery hunt so I've already had 3 sits on the year. Got rained out Thursday evening, had a doe and a fawn in range last Saturday (won't shoot a doe with a younger one), and didn't see anything the other time out. Pics of my trailcam have also for reason become almost non-existent. I have to figure out the missing pieces of the puzzle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi, Rob checking in. I do all of my hunting up at camp in 3A tioga county. Was up for opener and didn't see a deer while on stand. The stand I was in, I won't see many deer but if I do, most likely will be a shooter. Have a lot of nice bucks on camera so my hopes are high. Don't know how much time i will get to hunt though. My rutcation scheduled for first week of november has been derailed because I drew a Pa cow elk tag.
Good luck to everyone this season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, This is Anthony Buffone. I hunt 2D, Armstrong County. I past 3 8 point buck on the opening day and will be holding out for a Bigger buck. I have 3 boys that also hunt and they are my priority in early season but the rut is usually my time to shine. I am looking forward to being on this team. We got this and good luck to everyone and stay safe out there. Also be in touch.. I love talking about hunting as well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks 1shot! 17 years of applying. Still can't believe I got drawn! I may have to look at donating venison if I'm successful with the elk tag. Have any of you guys ever donated venison or used hunters sharing the harvest?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've donated venison pretty much every year but not through a program of any sort. Mainly people through Craigslist that are asking. I've found people who aren't hunters but due to their dogs allergies and/or food preferences the eat raw venison. Those are the type of people I generally donate to. I also give away most of my meat to my extended family that no longer hunts.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Interesting. I've never thought to look at Craigslist for venison donation. May have to check that out. I looked for processors thru the hunters sharing harvest but none are close to me. There is one that is right off a road I use on way back home from camp but I'm usually coming thru on Sunday. Have to see if they are open or have a place to drop one off.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Just checking in I hunt northeastern Berks County and have camp in McKean that I will probably get to this archery season for a rut hunt. Good luck to all this year.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hoping you guys are having better luck then myself. Every time I get a free moment to actually get out there and hunt I get poured on.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My time out has been limited and when I do get out, it seems to rain. After working 10 of the last 11 days and this cold front coming through, I'll be in the tree tomorrow morning regardless of the weather. I have a gun bash to go to in the afternoon so hopefully I get the job done early and then get to go and celebrate (and maybe even win something).

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good luck 1shot, also good luck at the gun bash. You just reminded me that I have a ticket for a gun bash tomorrow. I won't get to go, but still may win something.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'll get us started.

Had a good morning in the treestand Saturday morning. 2B Westmoreland County. With the rain I decided I didn't want to sit in the rain before first light. Walked into my stand right at first light (when the rain had just stopped). Within a half hour I saw my first buck off to my right. He didn't come any closer then 60 yards and was in the thick stuff. Wasn't sure how many points. Fast forward to about 8:15am this guy comes in on a line from my left. Took him at 10-12 yard. 60 yard recovery and a tough uphill drag.

Deer was tagged immediately after pic was taken.

14.5" spread, 8 points

14.5 + 8 + 5 = 27.5 points for Team 5

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts