The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my niece's kid over the weekend and he told me he's interested in archery. Now the problem is he lives halfway across the state and Mom + Dad are pretty much clueless. Are there any books or instruction manuals geared towards younger kids(8yrs old I think). We were going to give him my nephew's Micro Browning but we think he is a little to small for that yet so I'll probably get him something else for Xmas.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
See if their local 4H has an archery club. Some of these clubs have good instructors & can get them off to a good start In the right direction. They are generally inexpensive also. Ours is 30 dollars for 3 Monday evenings a month for the school year. We also have 4 day summer camps for 75 dollars.
We also supply all the equipment to get them started. The more advanced children have their own equipment.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll pass that on to my niece.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Business savy pro-shop owners will bend over backwards to help kids get into archery. It's their future buyers!. Have them go to a reputable archery dealership in the area, one that has lanes to shoot at. With winter coming, it's a great indoor activity for the kids. Many have winter leagues featuring either bulls eye targets or animal paper targets.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I did archery in 4H as well, in the late 80s and early 90s. It was relatively inexpensive. The instructor was a school teacher who was quite an archer. This was in Beaver County, but there are groups all over the state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts