The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the tc white mt? (50 cal flint)I have one that I want to start using . it sat in the cabinet for over 20 years.
it has the 20" barrel on it and I forget what the twist is. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction , as to what powder load ,bullet to start out with .patch and ball ,pa conicles, maxis , sabots ? any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have one it shoots maxi balls best.back when you could only shoot round balls hunting i had to use thicker patches to get any accuracy.i hunt with 80 gr.fff 275gr.maxi hunter,by T.C.,Easy to carry,like hunting with a yardstick.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If I remember correctly they have a faster twist than say a Hawken or renagade,I would think patched round balls would be last choice.I think maybe 1/28?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I had her at the range this morning. I did pretty good for as windy as it was . I ended up using 90g 2f and 240gr pa conicles . cutting holes at fifty yds on the lead sled. thanks

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
TC White Mountain barrels are 1:38 twist not 1:28; never made a 1:28 twist White Mountain and they are all 21" barrels. The earliest models were 1:20 twist; then 1:38. Don't know why they don't show on the list and can't get link to work. 45 and 54 caliber White Mountains were 1:48 according to the chart.
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/chart_muzzleloaders.php

1 - 9 of 9 Posts