The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought one today. Flintlock with half round/ octagonal barrel. No QLA. Lock is very good, but the trigger is a bit heavy.
The bore is outstanding, but the previous owner had the crown recut. Nicely done too.
The stock has typical dings for a rifle of its age.
Looks good, handles nicely. Haven't seen too many, so I figured I'd chance it. The price was right ($400).
Anybody shooting one? How's it working for you?
I'm looking forward to getting some blood on her this year.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Now don't be makin a post like that without throwin us some eye candy. :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Pics!!!!! Lol

I’d say you did real good on that one.

Nice pick up

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I picked up a New Englander not long ago that was a bit stiff in the trigger. All I did was a VERY thourough cleaning and oiling of the lock and it works like new.....just something to consider

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took her to pieces and found that the original owner knew what they were about. The Lyman frizzen was the first hint. " Top" engraved on the wedge was helpful, but nicely glass bedding the tang was mighty appreciated. I believe the bore was heavily JB'd as it is devoid of the usual tool marks. Although it may have been lapped, I doubt it as there is still some bluing present.Very nice for a factory cut rifled. I say cut because I've heard that .01 is too deep to button rifle, and this rifling is DEEP.
The re-cut crown certainly helped with tight loads. Recovered patches are nearly reuseable.
Shot 3 round groups at 50 yards. Largest was 2 1/4 and smallest 1 5/8ths. 2 shot close, sometimes cutting and one shot off to the right.
The lock is a fine example. No hammer/tumbler wobble. Gonna have to have some trigger work done though. Juuust a bit heavy for my taste.
.490/.018 it too tight for hunting. .015s much better. I use a lubed wad over 70 grains of 3f Swiss. I have a modest supply of that most excellent powder...
Ran into Chuck Dixon yesterday. He liked my Pennsylvania Hunter. Said " They were the best rifles TC ever made."
Here she is:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I have one hanging up on the wall right above me. I can't shoot it worth a crap :LOL: That heavy trigger absolutely kills me. I had a guy polish all the surfaces so it pulls a little smoother, but it's no lighter. I'd be curious to know what you will do to lighten it, the guy I talked to said there wasn't much more than could be done without really altering the gun. Parts for them have become scarce since they quit making them. I believe that RMC-Oxyoke sells some parts for them, but not many.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chuck looks good and seems sharp as ever.
I've read, to get a proper pull, lighter sear spring and reduce the depth of the full cock notch ( Not too much! Proceed with EXTREME caution) WITHOUT changing the angles.
Even with the heavy trigger, I like her.
Another project might be to put a wider trigger on and a small spring in the trigger's sear notch to stop it from rattling...
She's just a neat looking rifle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This thing is AWESOME! Took her to the range. 10 rounds of my go to load. A .490 ball,.015 pre lubed Ox Yokes, an Ox Yoke. 54/.56 wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. At 50 yards, the first 3 were in an inch and a quarter. Second 3 an inch on the dot. Last 4 were an inch and three eighths. Just tore a hole in the target.
I put a dab of moly grease on the sears, sear bar where it bears on the trigger and in the trigger notch. Did WONDERS for the pull.
Might take her for a walk IF I'm in an area where I'm unlikely to stumble over a bear. Don't believe I'M up to poking a bear with a .490 ball.
Yet.
Could NOT be more pleased with this rifle!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts