The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pa hunter carbine a couple years ago. I love the look and feel of the gun, but can't seem to get near the accuracy out of it that I do out of my longer flintlock. Anyone else have the dilemma with a carbine? It's a great gun in close but I think a regular pa hunter would do me better. Considering selling it to buy pa hunter or trading it for one. Good idea or should I keep it?

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you decide to sell it let me know. Been looking for one.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's what I have and can't be happier with it. I love it because it is so light and short so it doesn't get hung up on stuff. The only thing that I have noticed is that it doesn't balance as well as longer guns so it is much tougher to shoot freehand. I always use a prop for mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get a decent 3 shoot group (2 1/2"--3") with mine @ 100yd ..I use Hornady conical ball its pre lubed and no patch..Do they even make the Pa.Hunter anymore?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about value wise? Being that they don't make the PA Hunter or the PA Hunter Carbine, will they become somewhat collectable? Will one be more valuable than the other?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm kinda with you Deuce. I just picked up a PA Carbine a little over a month ago, I'm shooting Maxi-Balls out of mine under 80 grains of FF. I can shoot a nice group off of a bench @ 50 yards with it. Free hand, lets just say that's a different story, missed 3 times so far this year, none being further than 40 yards. I know it's me, and I just need more practice out of it. The PA Carbine is a sweet flintlock though! Glad that I bought it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No doubt, my buddy has the PA Hunter, and it's pretty wild how the PA Carbine is literally its little brother, with the octagon barrel going to a round barrel.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which has the barrel that switches to round? The PA Hunter? My Carbine is octagon the whole way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The PA. Hunter, and Carbine have 1 in 66" twist barrels. They are for shooting patched round balls. I had a carbine and with 70 to 80 grains of Goex FFG, .490 round ball, and an .018" pillow ticking patch, it had decent accuracy. The earlier models had the octagon to round barrel, and the later ones had the full octagone.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have one but I never seem to take it out much because I had been on the RMC with a sabot kick. I do recall that mine was accurate as heck with 60 grains of Goex 3f. I would keep it and play with it till you find a load it likes. I am real fond of the stocks on them and I am sure with enough testing you will find it's load.

I am going to shoot mine some this winter after season to find a Swiss 2f load for it. I will be looking for a light 60-80 grain load for it with accuracy my main concern not power. I use it as a carry rifle when I go with the group drives.

I just ordered a Lyman Deerstalker 1/48 twister in .54 caliber so the TC carbine may not get much use if the Lyman turns out to be a tack driver. I spent a few seasons messing with the sabot loads and they do have advantages but I just feel more like hunting with patched ball. I think the RMC will go up for sale next season and go back to hunting with patched ball.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I picked up a PA hunter this year after a part on my t/c firestorm bent. The PA hunter is a great rifle, has a nice pull and sight picture on it. Shoots pretty good from 70 yards had about 10 balls in a 5 inch circle. My only complaint is you need to use a jag on the end of the cleaning rod, or youll be pulling out patch puller before you know it.. Would be nice to find an aftermarket cleaning rod to replace it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
RMC sports supply has replacement rods of any length. Have your new rod custom cut so that the cupped end cleaning jag stays on the rod all the time. Make the length so that with the jag on it is flush with the muzzle so the patch won't hit it when it opens up from the ball coming out. I would get the black aluminium rod which are much better than those floppy ones. Thirty bucks if I recall.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I have a pa hunter carbine and I shoot .490 round balls with 90 grains of FFg and it shoots pretty darn good from a rest. As others have mentioned, freehand for me is a different story. Its pretty rare that I shoot it, or take it hunting, but its fun to mess around with at the range. The flash flinch really gets me though when shooting it freehand. Just need more practice. I missed last week with it at about 60 yards. I did replace the original touch hole with a bigger one, because I was having problems with it getting really clogged up after one shot, and just not going off in general. I put a larger diameter one in there and it goes boom pretty much every time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts