The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going on a muzzleloader hunt in ohion in jan and i recently purchased a thompson center impact muzzleloader.

while trying to site in the gun i could not get it to pattern. i tried cva powerbelts, from 248 grains up to 350 and no luck. i also tried the hornady 250 grain sabots with the plastic housing, and also mag sabot with plastic housing.

i have no clue what is up with this gun. could it possibly be my scope or should i keep trying different bullet combos til i find one that works???

does any one else have a tc impact or heard of someone who had this issue??

· Registered
290 Posts
Have you tried sighting by starting load of 70 or 75 grains and go up by 5 grains till you get a good pattern. If you reach your max load and do not get a good group then you change bullets. Using the same powder load but changing the bullet is IMO not the right way to approach the accuracy quest.

· Registered
575 Posts
c.e.o. I had the same problem as you this is what I did.I sent the gun back they sent me another one ,still did the same freakin thing ,finally found a powder it likes .for some reason blackhorn ,triple seven ,ect i think i have 5 different powders downstairs that I will never use...anyway get/find pyrodex not any pryodex mind you,this is pyrodex select rs-ffg equivalent and it is in a solid brown plastic jar has pyrodex written across the middle in gold lettering and selecton top in white and hodgdon written on bottom in white in a circle fashionand the sticky label is even darker than than the dark brown of the jar but im tellin you when i got this powder i dont know why or how but it worked for me.i shoot areo tips powerbelts and with my scope i got from cabelas.it has lines for different yards i can hit targets easiely out too 2 hundred yards all day long

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am shooting hodgen pre formed pyrodex pellets totalling 100 grains. I have tried cleaning inbetween shoots including. Taking the breech plug out and bore brushing just to get the big stuff out. I will be trying a different type of sabot and hoefully something works. If not ill be buying a new gun the day after xmas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.