The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going on a muzzleloader hunt in ohion in jan and i recently purchased a thompson center impact muzzleloader.

while trying to site in the gun i could not get it to pattern. i tried cva powerbelts, from 248 grains up to 350 and no luck. i also tried the hornady 250 grain sabots with the plastic housing, and also mag sabot with plastic housing.

i have no clue what is up with this gun. could it possibly be my scope or should i keep trying different bullet combos til i find one that works???

does any one else have a tc impact or heard of someone who had this issue??

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you tried sighting by starting load of 70 or 75 grains and go up by 5 grains till you get a good pattern. If you reach your max load and do not get a good group then you change bullets. Using the same powder load but changing the bullet is IMO not the right way to approach the accuracy quest.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
c.e.o. I had the same problem as you this is what I did.I sent the gun back they sent me another one ,still did the same freakin thing ,finally found a powder it likes .for some reason blackhorn ,triple seven ,ect i think i have 5 different powders downstairs that I will never use...anyway get/find pyrodex not any pryodex mind you,this is pyrodex select rs-ffg equivalent and it is in a solid brown plastic jar has pyrodex written across the middle in gold lettering and selecton top in white and hodgdon written on bottom in white in a circle fashionand the sticky label is even darker than than the dark brown of the jar but im tellin you when i got this powder i dont know why or how but it worked for me.i shoot areo tips powerbelts and with my scope i got from cabelas.it has lines for different yards i can hit targets easiely out too 2 hundred yards all day long

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
TC's are not famous for shooting conicals good at all.

Sabots will be your best bet.

What powder are you shooting? Pyrodex, T7, american pioneer, goex, these all should be swabbed between each and every shot.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am shooting hodgen pre formed pyrodex pellets totalling 100 grains. I have tried cleaning inbetween shoots including. Taking the breech plug out and bore brushing just to get the big stuff out. I will be trying a different type of sabot and hoefully something works. If not ill be buying a new gun the day after xmas

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try hornady sst and tc shockwaves. Hope one of the two work.

Is there a that big of a difference between hodgen n 777 pellets?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the info! Its funny how one gun is different from another and its from the same manufacturer. Well im off to the range in 15. Ill post what shoots best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts