The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is looking to buy a 6.5 Creedmoor and has it narrowed down to these two guns. Just curious as to what everyone's opinion is on them... Advantages/disadvantages, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The ruger is a quality gun, but my impression is that even though I've never owned one, the Icon is better built with nice features and seems to have a good record of accuracy. It comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Ruger, it has a known track record. The T/C does not!

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I can assure you that you wont find a better built factory gun, than an American made Ruger..........

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ruger by a long shot

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Davy Crockett said:
The ruger is a quality gun, but my impression is that even though I've never owned one, the Icon is better built with nice features and seems to have a good record of accuracy. It comes down to personal preference.
I agree. You also won,t go wrong either way.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I also agree that if you're after accuracy, the Icon is probably the way to go.

I like the Rugers, and am the proud owner of one in .280, but they are not the best factory rifles out there in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy.

I would say what the Ruger has going for it is a hinged floor plate (my personal preference), CRF, a good (included) scope mounting system, a 3 pos. Win. style safety, and a history of rugged reliability.

The cons for the Ruger would be an investment cast receiver (if that matters to you) and fit and finish that leaves a little to be desired.

The pros for the Icon that I can see are better fit and finish, a better reputation for accuracy, and a machined receiver with integral Weaver style bases (this really appeals to me).

Cons for the Icon: I'm not really into detachable poly mags (I believe some do have a hinged floor plate), the appearance of the receiver (with large Icon logo), and a two position safety with separate "Bolt Lock".

Nearly all of these things come down to personal preference, but that is how I see it.

I don't think either would be regretted, but they have somewhat different features, so one needs to decide what they are looking for.

I almost forgot triggers. I don't have any experience with the Icons, but the Ruger's LC6 is not readily adjustable and is typically a little heavy, but is crisp and creep free.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Let's pretend money is no question!!! Ruger is 10 times the better, and this will make many's day. Why not a Savage??? I'm not a Savage fan by no means but when I was in the market for my Cmoor I was very close to a Mk.II a very good shooter. All the reports I've read on the Cmoor Savages is real good, and the Ruger. Guess Hornady knew what they were doin they first chambered it in a Ruger. They could have tried Icon but didn't. And Savage as always rides the train of others...later

·
Registered
654 Posts
No offense to the Ruger fans but I figure a Hawkeye may or may not be a good shooter but won't have a good trigger. The Icon comes with an adjustable trigger, better stock, and an MOA accuracy guarantee.

On the other hand, your friend better know of an Icon in 6.5 Creedmoor sitting on a dealers rack or he may not find one. They seem to have disappeared. I saw a few listed online early this year but none since.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have hunted with Rugers for the last 25 years with great success. They are rugged and have stood up to some harsh elements. Back in the late 80's Ruger was having there barrels made by another company, it was then that they had some accuracy issues. Ruger realized the problem, tooled up, and starting making there own barrels. Problem solved. I have owned many of their guns and currently have five Ruger rifles now and they all shoot very well, in fact two of them are tack drivers and thats with factory ammo. I have noticed over the years that some of them are fussy about the ammo you feed them (Federal, Winchester, Remington) Find what it likes and you are good to go. My vote goes to Ruger.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I would take the ruger over the TC . I have had GREAT kuck with ruger quality. And all of mine have been very accurate. Add to this that the ruger has a more classic look than the TC.....that seasl the deal. Ruger

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Chick, if a guy wants one they can be had. Just go to your gunshop and they'll find one not real hard.One of the reason's to patronize a local shop. I wanted a 700 so just had one made with a Hart barrel @ 26" The MkII's shoot very well and when first made had a 28" barrel. Now most are 24" in Ruger. Almost bought one!!! I've got one in .220 and it shoots better then me, also have an older 77 in .270 that is a deer slayer, Ruger's are good guns but some guys shop price only and end up with whatever's. I like the trigger on my swift some guys get hung up on triggers to much. Unless you shoot 4=5 times a week and can punch paper at 200yds. with 1/2" groups I'ed say shoot somethin just under 2lbs. Huntin trigger means nothin it could be 6lbs. If you shoot mutli guns imo have them all about the same, nothin worse then 1 at 2.3oz. and the other at 3.5 oz. Have yet to meet the guy who changes his trigger pull for different hunts.....later

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Never heard that question ever. Ruger's imo would be as others I guess like Win. Rem. etc. Just me but of the New guns I've bought never entered my mind, I know Remington stands behind all their guns. I guess you mean like a flaw? Most things that happen to a rifle are self inflicked, like over tighten bolts, wrong ammo, RUST, all's I can think of, my mind is sorta blank from your question....later

·
Registered
638 Posts
the ruger is your huckleberry. t/c needs to stick to black powder and contenders.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts