The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What range of prices is a used .45 cal. Hawkins in decent shape bringing these days ? Bought new the first year Pa. had a seperate flintlock season.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Also remember that a 45 caliber is less efficient at carrying it's energy down range. Per Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, 1st Ed. (both 28 inch barrels) a 445 ball over 90 grains loses 72% of its muzzle energy, down to 328 ft lbs at 100 yds. The same gun in 50 caliber loses less muzzle energy at 100 yds. For instance, a 90 grain charge in a 50 caliber still carries 430 ft lbs at 100 yds. To me, a 45 would be worth less for hunting deer than a 50.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Is it a "Kit" gun?You can tell by the "K" in front of the ser. number.
If you don't have a bore light to drop in,feel each of the flats,top to bottom, to see if barrel has been "Ringed".
Is it scratched up or not?Was it cleaned or shot and not cleaned?
I would say poor condition $100.
Near new condition $300.
Kinda hard to say if I can't see it and handle it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
On another forum I just saw a TC Hawken. It was one of the older models. It was still NIB, unfired. It was a RH flinter in 50 caliber, with a pretty good looking stick of wood on it. The price was $300. I thought that was a good price. If it had been a lefty I would have bought it. Tom.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is not a kit. I bought it new. It has been cleaned after every outing (which was not many). I just don't use it and wanted to know what it would be worth.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
wolfy said:
It is not a kit. I bought it new. It has been cleaned after every outing (which was not many). I just don't use it and wanted to know what it would be worth.
Thanks for the responses.
If it were a more popular 50 i would say 275-300 range. Being a 45...200-250 at best. Optimum time to sell would be after new licenses are out(late Summer going into Fall timeframe) and folks start thinkin bout huntin. I sold my RMC Accusporter flintlock last year & got top dollar for it then.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Where is Norry?I might be interested if you are close.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Norry is a nick name for Northumberland. Located where the north & west branches of the Susquehanna comes together. Route 11 comes thru town.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Since you live in Northumberland I would at the very least consider taking it to Youngs sporting goods on Duke street. My grandfather sold his TC Hawken to him 2 years ago for $275, and his was a kit gun. If you need the money now or don't want to deal with selling it might be worth a look.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is where I planned to take it. I did not know what to ask for it though. They sold a cap lock & an in-line for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.