The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What maxiball/conical would you recommend for this gun. Trying to improve the guns accuracy over the round balls, with a conical. TC says 370 max-ball abut could use solid input from a few veterans. Anyone shooting a 240 gr PA Conical by Hornady? Any input would be great.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Give the 240 Hornady Pa. Conical a try. They have shot very well out of my T\C factory 1-48 twist barrel. What I found that has worked even better was to try different powder charges. Start at 60gr. of FF and move up.

I think I finally settled on 80gr. of FF powder with a T\C bore button in between the powder and the Conical. The bore button seemed to give me tighter groups. I don't have any scientific proof, but what I think is happening is the BP isn't burning or melting the bottom of the conical and I'm getting a good true twist down the barrel.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

SW

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I will say REALS 320 grain shoot excellent with 3F powder out of my older hawkens 50 cal. flinter.I use a wad under the conical and run the powder charge at 80 grains goex 3F

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If you have the proper parch combo,it will give less than 1 1/2" groups at 50yds.Some will give clovers.A conical actually shoots best out of a about 1:28 twist(give or take).

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
my TC hawken hates conicals...ive tried a ton...powerbelts, maxi balls, maxi hunters, 2 different buffalo ballet things, none shot well...

a patch n ball over 90gr of powder will clover leaf all day though.....

needless to say, i shoot patch n ball....

they are deadly..and i can load em VERY quickly with a premeasured charge and patch n ball in my ball block...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you looking for a hunting load, or for target shooting? I find that if I do a lot of target shooting with a lead conical, such as a T/C Maxi-Ball leading of the barrel occurs, even though looking down the bore, it looks clean, and accuracy greatly diminishes. Cleaning of the bore is tedious when this occurs. It takes several cleaning sessions,sometimes letting the bore set overnight in a cleaning solvent, (Hoppes #9 Benchrest) before cleaning patches will come out clean. Shooting a patched round ball, no lead ever touches the rifling, and clean-up is much easier. Try a tighter fitting PRB. I use pillow ticking material from Wal-Mart, red, or blue striped, bought by the yard, and pre-cut my own square patches. (Use a sharp pair of scissors) I lube the patches with Hoppes #9 Plus Black Powder Solvent, And Patch Lube. I get very good grouping with a .490 ball, and 90 grains Goex FFG, in my Hawken. Also it is much more economical to shoot PRB'S than conicals if you shoot a lot.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
t/c make something called cheap shot its a 240gr bullet that sits inside a plactice wad they shoot a 3in group at 50 yrd off the bench in the hawkins i have

1 - 11 of 11 Posts