The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm not exactly new to muzzle loaders I've played with them in the past but this time I am serious and am hoping to harvest a nice deer in the late flint lock season. I am getting a TC Hawken Flintlock and am wondering what you guys are using as far as powder charge and type (FF or FFF) sabots or round? any help is much appreciated!!!! I looked on the TC website and using FFG powder and Sabots is acceptable so I'm thinking I want to go that route unless you guys have something different in mind. Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
ive seen guys shot 2f or 3f out of them myself i like 3f i would try 70grs or 80 grs with a patched round ball if you dont want to shoot a rb T/C make a sabot called cheap shot they shoot well its all up to you on what you want to shoot and what the gun likes

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
With the 1:48 twist of the hawken barel, round [censored] or conicals will be your best bet...sabots are best in faster twists but might get lucky and have them shoot well...never know but I wouldn't waste my time and money...

Use REAL black powder not a substitute...4fg in the pan and 2 or 3fg in the barrel...70-90grs and a pillow ticking or .015-.018 patch and .490 round ball (for 50cal) will likely show good results...mine shoots more accurately then I can with 90gr and a round ball or 70gr and a buffalo ballet...both hit the same spot for me...and both shoot real nice...

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I'd stick to patched round ball and either 80grs of FFg or 70grs of FFFg.Group is at 50 yds.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Nice group 410!!!
My .54 shoots the T/C maxi hunters like that.

Dave

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help! I got REAL 4F for the pan from my Father in law, and will pick up REAL 2F for the charge tomorrow! Man am I excited. I will use TC Maxi [censored] first Not sure what grain. If it doesn't like that I will use round [censored]. either way I am pumped!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hooked I am! I had the rifle to the range today and am very pleased 80gr of 2f and 250gr TC sabots give me the tightest most consistant groups. Three shots iside of 2.50 inches at 50 yds. Not to bad at 100 either but shots will with out a doubt be about 50 to 70 yards. Can't wait for flintlock season! Thanks again. Good luck to you all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts