The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old TC Hawken that is not working right - sometimes. The gun worked great until this year's cleaning. Sometimes the hammer only goes to halfcock instead of hitting the frizzen when I pull the trigger. What could be causing this? How do I fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
make sure you didn't over tighten the screw holding the lock in place
i did that 1 time and it stopped the hammer

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that. The crazy thing works more often than not. I have enough problem getting the gun to go off when there is brown in front of it.

Thanks for quick response!

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Flinty,s take alot of TLC and tuning to operate at peak effiencey.But once set up I have all the confidence in them in the world.Sounds like you need some tunin tips.Do you know any rocklock diehards to help you close to home?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could always use some help with the TC. I have learned to flinch with this gun.LOL I took some time with the TC this year and never had a misfire even when practicing. Now my shooting ability with this gun is terrible. I shot a doe with it this year and it ONLY took 4 shots.

I am planning on puttinng some time behind it this year.

After reading all the posts about Dixon's on here, I went there and it was awesome! I had them put on a lyman frizzen after reading about it here and plus Dixon's recommended it. Unfortunately Dixon's is 2.5 hours away.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't got to try it yet. I wasn't willing to wake Wifey up with all the "noise" of me cocking and hitting the trigger last night. I will try later tonight.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
come out and shoot on sundays at the harrisburg hunters and anglers league. Many knowledgable folks there. that and the more you shoot the less you should flintch

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I had that problem with my Renagade one year, Called T/C and they sent me some new parts. I do not remember exactly what they were, fly and sear maybe? After I replaced them it has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Sounds like the "fly" is either broken or worn out. It is a very small piece, kind of looks like a pointer, that lets the hammer fall completely down to the frizzen when the trigger is pulled. Easy to replace.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just have to watch the coil spring.
I would just send it back and let T/C repair it for free.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I just got a hammer in today that I ordered 1/27 and it came from the Rochester NH site.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called TC today and they said to send the lock to them. TC agreed it could be the fly, but the guy said to send it to make sure. I was told it may take 12 weeks to get it back, but it would be covered under warranty. I also checked on getting the front trigger set a little harder which they will do "no charge."
I always liked a hair trigger, but mine is just too light for late season hunting.

Thanks for all the replies and the invite to HBG league.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
You just might get a whole new lock out of the deal.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had a similar problem with an Investarms lock. When I took the lock out I discovered that it had been a while since I had cleaned it up. A thorough cleaning in hot soapy water and a tooth brush to get into all the hard to reach places cleaned it right up. I then rinsed it and took the air hose to it to dry it out. I then let it sit in the sun for about an hour. Once dry I oiled it up and it worked just like a new one. I even took one apart once but do not recommend that but I had another rifle with the same lock so had a complete one to refer to . I did learn to periodically take the lock off and clean it as things can get a bit grimy in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts