The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading several posts this morning that recomend replacing the old style TC hammer with a "new style" hammer. What is the purpose? What is wrong with the "old style hammer"?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The old style struck the frizzen lower,short travel.The newer strikes higher and has a longer travel.I have both.Both do well if tuned right but the newer is a little better.I did send one back and they upgraded at no charge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll take it under advisement. I kinda hate sending my lock back to TC to get this done. They are NOT THE SAME COMPANY they once were. I could tell you some stories.......

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I just sent a old parts in from a lock a guy gave me he could not put it together and make it work
Long story short the sear was broken
t/c sent me a new sear,bridle, bridle plate,2 screws for the plate
and a sear spring all new (no charge)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A close friend has sent his Renegade in 4 times for a cracked stock issue. They keep installing a stock that doesn't fit and sending it back. Apparently, they don't do any wood there anymore amd it is contracted out to "somebody else". I can understand the economics of this, but don't they give them the templates or dies to get it right? Every one he gets back has a huge gap between the lock and the barrel where powder will leave the pan (could be dangerous too). Or, they use Bondo or something to fill the gap (looks like crap, it is crap)instead of machining the wood correctly to start with. He is at his wits end and asked for the old stock back but I don't think it's an option at this point.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The 1st old style TC lock I got was sent back for an upgrade.Sent a new lock.Dropped right in and fit was perfect.Have learned now that I can get the old one to spark ALMOST as well as the new ones.I don't send back now unless its broke.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
t/c has a new stock maker the older stock had a lot more drop the new stocks if you look close are not the same.
I had a few issues were the lock plate had a small gap and if the powder gets under the lock it will crack the stock.I will either will inlet the lock deeper or fill the gap between the lock and the vent liner with some glass-beding epoxy,I also glass bed the rear tang and sloppy fit tang and heavy charges of BP also can crack a stock

1 - 7 of 7 Posts