The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'm thinkin' of picking up an Encore. First barrels would be a 50 muzzloader and a 22 hornet. Are they worth the money? Is the Pro Hunter stock worth it? Looking for some advice. THANKS

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
if your looken for a good deal a friend got the regular old blue encore with a 50 cal muzzloader barrel at gander for around 480 ish i bleave its not a prohunter but then again neither is he lol

·
Registered
889 Posts
I really like my Encore's. But I would not buy a Pro Hunter. IMO they are overpriced and a bit of a marketing gimmick. For example why would they charge so much more for a barrel that is 2" longer and has flutes. They had to figure out a way to raise the price so the made cosmetic changes.

IMO the best way to go is to order a frame by itself. All the Encore's I have ever seen needed a trigger job. So I bought my frames from a gunsmith and had them do a trigger job. This saved me alot on freight.

Second you can choose a stock. There are a ton of options out there. And there are a ton of used stocks for sale out there also.

Then I would order the rifle barrel that I wanted. Whether it be a custom or a factory barrel. Just get the one you want.

Then I would buy a good used MZ barrel. There are a bunch of them out there. Or just order a new one. But there is nothing wrong with the plain old 209X50 barrel. You may have to use a wrench to take out the breech plug. But is that really a big deal??

You can put together a custom for about the same price as the ProHunter. Take your time and buy the rifle in components. After all that is the beauty of the system. Below are a couple of mine. Tom.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I bought my 50 cal.Encore when they 1st came out. Mine has a S.S. barrel with a black syn. stock.
I shoot 125 gr, Barnes expanders w/ 120 gr, 777 and she's a tack driver. I've shot it out to 200 yards at the range with some impressive groups. But remember not all guns are built equal. My group at the time bought 5 guns all at the same time and 4 shot well, 1 did not. The 5th gun finally ended up shooting 95 gr. bullets w/ a different powder charge, That gun took some time to figure out what it liked. In the end all the guns shot well.
I take her out during rifle season because I like her over some of my center fire rifles.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Prohunt system is suppose to absorb the shock of larger calibers... So if your planning on owning something thats going to kick a bit in the Encore system that might be A reason to get the Prohunter Encore.

However "I Never Met A Encore System That I Didn't Like!"

I like them so much that I have been considering even getting one of the turkey barrels. They are suppose to kick like a mule..So I would put it on the Prohunter system...

Also year after year of $50.00 rebates if you buy an Encore barrel ain't half bad either... Take some Cableas Earned Dollars (reward card) and maybe a few $50.00 Cabelas gift cards from your family at Christmas...Then Cabelas give you $20.00 promotion if you spend $150.00 Um how about a Prohunter barrel for about $113.00 including tax from Cabelas..

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I buy the Prohunter stock and forend and then I buy an Encore frame.
The swing hammer and engraving does not make me shoot better.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts