The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first Encore chambered in .280 remington. (got the pro hunter stainless and love it) I have since purchased a muzzleloader barrel for it as well. I soon hope to have a custom shop 44 mag rifle barrel and a 12 or 20 slug barrel too. I have been doing alot of reading and have noticed these new style locking hinge pins.

Does anyone here currently use one?
If so, What style? (I see one that expands and one that has little flanges to lock it into place)
Did you see an increase in MOA accuracy after installation?

Any other tips or tricks for tuning in my encore would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
From everythign I have read locker pins are nothing more than snake oil.

Pillar bed your forend/hanger bar and adjusting your head space are beter places to spend your money.

The best bang for the buck is getting a good load for the gun IMO

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I adjusted my head space to .002" and bedded my forend, the two best things I have done to my Encore.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It is a Thompson. You should not have any problem getting it to shoot one hole groups. If you do not reload then this would be the perfect time to start. You can make them work wonders straight out of the factory with a little tweaking of your loads.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a TCholic myself, I would completely agree with what has been said above. Those locking hinge pins from EABCO are nothing but "Snake Oil" as said above. Piller bedding your forend screw holes or even installing a few washers in between the forend and barrel will make all the diffrence. Also making sure you have a constant torque on your forend screws will also help. If you site the gun in and take the forend off, be sure to resite it in because the tension on the forend will change you poi. Swing by our forum at SP sometime. There is a wealth of knowledge there concerning TC's. PS. Forget about the Custom Shop, order your Barrels from MGM (Match grade machine), about the same price and turn around time, but you will receive a much better quality custom barrel. Another thing you may want to consider is your trigger. Mike Bellm does a awesome trigger job for a very reasonable price.

Here are some helpfull links below to help you become sadly broke and addicted to TC's all at the same time.

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x
http://www.matchgrademachine.com/
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=367

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Get a FatWrench and buy some hex head screws for the forend.

There was a guy on ebay that was selling a set of forend screws for $3.50 a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
besides for headspace, there's 3 important things to do to maximize your Encores efficency...

1... get the forend away from the barrel... a couple #60 "O" rings on the screws will help... snug, do not tighten them... if you're shooting a composite stock the next part is easy... take a sharp knife and slowly work all the plastic parts away from the barrel and action... leave the lugs alone but clear out all the rest, you only want 2 points of contact under the barrel... do not open out the ears that cover the hinge pin...

2... get heavy duty locking lug springs in all your barrels... that'll help it lock up more consistently and tighter...

3... check your hinge pin... this needs to be tight enough that you need a drift to get it out... anything less is to loose...

and I know I said 3 but a good trigger job will bring out a lot of accuracy too... all these parts and info can be found on Mike Bellm's site... he has a tutorial on there for doing your own trigger job if you're 1/2 way mechanically inclined... springs are cheap and do wonders to lighten up the trigger pull...

SS... word of advice on the slug barrels, go 20ga... the high comb on an Encore, with the 12ga slug will slap the snot outta ya...

Any other tips or tricks for tuning in my encore would be greatly appreciated.
I've done all the above to mine and the 22K-Hornet, 22-250, 280AI all shoot to one hole with good reloads, the 45-70 and 375H&H shoot clover leafs at 100 yards...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh, I never thought of the "O" ring idea. but I guess that would work.

Thanks all for your information...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
All it has to do is create gap between the frame and forend.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My PH has been fine just the way it came out of the box. Both the .204 and .338 barrels have been very accurate.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Todate all of my factory pins and barrels have shot outstanding groups.
If my barrels started not to group I would do what Rockfish recommended with the O rings...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts