The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TC contender in 30 30 that I intend to hunt with, it came with a 2-7 scope but I'm have a difficult time getting the cross hairs on paper... a moving target in the woods would be darn near impossible for me. Options on a scope that would be easier to use for me?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 2x-7x on mine and wish I had opted for the 2x. My .44 Magnum beat 2 red dots into submission but they were not expensive ones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a 30-30 contender also. it came with a redfield 2x scope. i had a very hard time picking up the target as well . put a red dot on it and never looked back or regretted it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
For starters if your going to shoot at moving deer....Don't with a handgun. I have shot 4 bucks and 1 doe with a hand gun. My first choice is a 1x Burris with a 6 in dot. Second choice is a large tube red dot. I say large tube as the small tubes become difficult in the woods, you can see the dot but they gather so little light seeing your target can be tough. Also if it's below freezing turn the dot on when you leave your vehicle and leave it on all day. End of day throw your battery away and put a new one in for tomorrow, ask me how I know. This was passed on to me by a factory rep from Aimpoint.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run a 2x Leupold on my 30-30 contender without issue. Finding your target can be a little tricky, but second nature with a little practice. If you are not comfortable running your 2x7 scope at 2x, then a red dot should work for you. Avoid the cheap stuff. I have had good luck with Aimpoint, Vortex, Burris, and Ultra Dot. I repeat, avoid the cheap stuff on a gun that recoils. The .44 mag Ruger Redhawk pictured below has worn the same Ultra Dot sight since new, about 1980, and has fired thousands of heavy loads without issue.

EDIT - I just had a thought. The 2x7 scope on your Contender is a long eye relief HANDGUN scope, right? If not, then that is your problem. Some guys run rifle scopes on their Contenders, and hold them close to their faces. That works with very mild cartridges, but not with anything that kicks, like a 30-30......

Larry

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I hunt with a colt anaconda so I'm not new to hunting deer with a pistol. I ended up putting a leopold red dot on it. This should give me a wider view and allow me to keep both eyes open

1 - 10 of 10 Posts