The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI to you guys out there. Wouldn't recommend the taxidermist in Dover Pa on Oakland road to my worst nightmare. Those guys can't take criticism, I was told to leave and take my business elsewhere. After 14 mounts and one complaint I was treated like garbage. I started looking elsewhere and have seen all york county taxidermist do better waterfowl than these guys. Just don't want to see what happened to me happen to you

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes we do, a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
There are alot of guys on here that could give you their expert opinion. Heck I was told on here how I had the worst Drake Goldeneye mount ever.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yea I took my wood duck to.those guys and they doesn't do.the best job. From now on I'm taking mine to Randy Kuntz. The eyes on my woodie are not right. Completely diff color then the live bird not to mention he diddnt mount it in the position I wanted. Was not pleased and won't go back. I have heard his mounts are hit and miss and more and more it is a miss!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have had two mounts done there and was pleased. You also must like the work done,but I am sorry to hear of the poor treatment that you received .There are some very good taxidermists in the York area to choose from . Some business owners should not bite the hand that feeds them . 14 mounts ? You should be treated as royalty. Best of luck with your new choice . Word of mouth works both ways - thanks for the heads up....Finn

·
Registered
765 Posts
Pappy84 said:
MadHunter86 said:
Randy Kuntz
Randy's work is A#1 and for a fair price!
Yea I've seen his work through a couple of my buddies mounts. So I got some ducks, a snow goose, and a brant to take to him to have done. I can't say I've heard anything bad about his work or any complaints.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a pic of the bird I am mentioning but here is the story. My step dad wanted a woodie for his cabin, he doesn't hunt ducks so told me if I ever shot a good one to save it. Well two years ago in the early I did. I took it in to get mounted for a Christmas presant for him. The duck I shot wasn't a rare stud but it was a good looking three year old drake. Well I got back a bird with next to no Crest uneven black and white feathers and really blotch gold under his wings. I know those are the three main things to judge a decent woodie by. Like I said it wasn't a stud but it was one of the three nicest I have ever shot. I got back someone else's bird and my buddy who was hunting with me that day said the same thing. When I told him that isn't the duck I brought in he got [censored] and started telling me how I had better know what I am bringing and remember a couple months later. I paid for it because of our history we were kinda friends cuz I was in there a lot. This was almost a year ago. I went back in today to inquire about getting a hide tanned and someone had told him I said he gave me back a bird that wasn't mine and basically told me if that's how I feel he doesn't want me bring my business to him. I told him all I said was what I feel happened and he said then leave and walked in the back. I have givin this taxidermist over 4 thousand dollars in the last 6 years. With one complaint and a few things I looked passed that aren't really that big a deal. Well no more

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Randy Kuntz is top notch and the foremost exception to the "you get what you pay for" garbage. 185 each and less than 4months for both.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am putting the conversation in a little more professional words. He basically insulted my intelligence a few times like I have no idea about waterfowl and can't judge a duck from a chicken

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I found a guy who mounts ducks, for get this... $85 a piece. I've seen his work and it's not bad. Not Tim Schloss, but not bad at all.

And he still won't get my work I don't know many people, but I know Tim and that's all I need to know.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
When you go too cheap or go outside to a deer or turkey guy, you get a deer or turkey guy's ducks. I'm very happy with Tim's work and cost, convenience to my home or time to complete doesn't matter to me.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
This kind of thing is one reason why you should have good close up photos of everything you take to a taxidermist.

·
Registered
131 Posts
They are not people friendly. I have 57 different mounts done by them one or two could be better. the thing with them is they are overwhelmed with work each year more and more. and still trying to have a year turnaround. Id like to see a pic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been using this taxidermy for over 10 years. He has always done excatly what I have asked of him. Between myself and a buddy he has done over 20 mounts with no issues and the turn around time on average is 6 to 9 months. He even has repaired a foot on one of my mounts that was attached by bugs at no cost. Until I see pics, I will still take birds back to him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts