The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this isnt outdoor related but it certainly affects a lot of us and people we know. this is a letter to the editor in the paper today. I did not write it. we need to act on this, or we may find our outdoor way of life impacted financially.

All seniors should be aware that some state legislators are making plans to tax retirement income at a rate of 4.92 percent. This includes pensions, IRAs, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. Rep. Frank Ryan of Lebanon says he will drop the proposal if it does not get significant support from senior citizens. We need to let him know we don’t support it. Please email Rep. Ryan at [email protected]. Also, contact your state representative and senator.
For 44 years, we have been encouraged (through tax benefits) to save for retirement through IRAs. Now that we are in retirement, they want to change the rules. When you are working, you have options to rearrange your affairs. You can save more or work longer. Once you have retired, your situation is fixed. That makes this proposed tax on retirement income particularly unfair.

i sent my letter of opposition, will you ?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Emails sent to Ryan, and my representative.

This is ill conceived legislation to repeal / reduce school property taxes with new income taxes. While I am an opponent of school property taxes, and the arbitrary methods used to calculate them, I am unalterably opposed to Pennsylvania taxing the pensions of retired senior citizens ! ! !

·
Registered
17,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got an actual response from Rep. Ryan

Subject: Re: tax on retirement income

Thank you so much for your e-mail.

I’m sorry that you don’t think it’s a workable idea but I would like to ask you a few questions if you wouldn’t mind?

First, are you aware that our bill gets rid of school property tax 100%?

This video may help explain more about the actual bill.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/pagopvideo/461319961.mp4

Second of all may I ask you where you saw the story? There’s a number of emails coming out of Erie and I’m wondering how the story was presented. If you have a copy of the article I would appreciate seeing it.

Third, are you aware that Social Security is not taxable under our bill,

Fourth, are you aware that any money you contributed to your pension plan is not taxable my bill.

Fifth, the hold harmless provision that’s been benefiting the western part of the state is expiring so the property taxes in the western part of the state, which are currently being subsidized by people in eastern part of the state, will start to increase at an increasing rate?

Sixth, I’m 68 years old, a CPA, and a retired Marine Colonel with an expertise in economic warfare and I can assure you that if we don’t get control of this problem of the cost of seniors in the Commonwealth that in 3 to 5 years the Commonwealth will have no other option but to tax retirement income and you’ll still have property taxes.

I know these are painful discussions but I can assure you that the overspending in the Commonwealth over the past 40 years has put us in a predicament where we have no other option. Public sector pensions are under funded by almost $75 billion as an example.

If you are OK with property taxes then I understand your position completely.

The bill that I’ve got prepared is in an open comment period and that’s why I am soliciting your thoughts.

I’ve been in office for two years and I’m stunned at the lack of financial controls that existed in Harrisburg until recently.

I do appreciate the dialogue.

Semper Fi,

Frank

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Anyone who believes any new tax created to replace an old one is a good idea ....they’re naive at best.
Yep...as some European countries eliminated the income tax & went to a VAT(National Sales Tax). After a few years the National Sales Tax wasn't bringing in the revenue they expected so they tacked back on the ole income tax. Now they have BOTH!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
THAT IS BALLSY! As a retired citizen of the Commonwealth I am a bit past the age of having school children. In fact, nearly all of my grandchildren have graduated, including one from college! Telling me that paying a tax to eliminate a tax, is simply idiotic, and only opens the door for even more taxes when the new one proves insufficient, and as Loggy alluded to, would likely find an end result of an extra tax. As I mentioned in my letter of protest, the only reason I can see for introducing such legislation is a desire to lose the senior retiree votes in the next election.:surprise2:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Y'all better do some calculations before saying no to this. It will save me several thousand per year; I would not walk away from that.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Y'all better do some calculations before saying no to this. It will save me several thousand per year; I would not walk away from that.
How about in future years when revenues decrease due to many higher(defined benefit) pensioners dying and falling off the new tax base and they find it necessary to bring back real estate taxes??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would, trading one tax for another is a fools errand. Sooner or later they will outspent the income and they will stick the old tax back on. Never volunteer for a tax. I think what they were talking about several,years ago would be the best way to go, increase sales tax, get rid of all exemptions except medicine and medical services. They would make enough to support the schools. But of course the cry will be what about the poor! What about the poor, they are paying their taxes with our money anyway!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I often wonder why no elected official has not focused on making state goverment more efficeint instead of always raising taxes.

Some examples: Pa has one of the biggest group of elected represenatives with the highest pay. From the headlines of todays Pennlive " Pa. lawmakers are among the highest paid in U.S., but they’re doing less and less actual lawmaking."

Or just think of all the times when traveling the highways we see state workers leaning on shovels or standing around talking. However they get great retirement.

I am sure you may have examples that could make the state goverment more efficient.

If ALL of the PA state goverment became more efficient, PA would become greater.

Dean Conklin

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I will tell you why. Because as soon as they get elected and are convinced by the lifers in the legislature about how special they are and get as addicted as a heroine addict to the special treatment and perks they receive, every waking moment and even their dreams are focused on getting re-elected and staying a legislator for life. We need term limits badly but the hogs we are trying to eradicate and the hogs that have to create term limits.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
40+ years of getting into this mess could take 40+ years to get everything corrected. They need to take steps one at a time. They need to start this ball rolling by eliminating pensions for new state employees.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ya, I hear you. I'll take what I can get now 'cause there may not be many left!!
Don't worry, when the coffers run low, our tax & spend legislators will craft another tax to keep the commonwealth afloat. The warm bodies in Harrisburg look out for ONLY one group ... themselves ... don't believe what they spin as anything near the truth !

·
Registered
17,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
40+ years of getting into this mess could take 40+ years to get everything corrected. They need to take steps one at a time. They need to start this ball rolling by eliminating pensions for new state employees.

they changed the pension for State employees. they also exempted the State police from the new pension system. dont forget...no matter what changes they make, this State still owes their share of the pension payments they illegally failed to make for more than 11 years. that process created this mess and the politicians are skillfully trying to blame the employees and the unions for what the State did illegally.

the State, by law, will still have to pay what they owe. they can not legislate it away.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
they changed the pension for State employees. they also exempted the State police from the new pension system. don't forget...no matter what changes they make, this State still owes their share of the pension payments they illegally failed to make for more than 11 years. that process created this mess and the politicians are skillfully trying to blame the employees and the unions for what the State did illegally.

the State, by law, will still have to pay what they owe. they can not legislate it away.
Also don't forget the legislators gave themselves twice the multiplier than the state employees got. The multiplier for both state employees and legislators was 1 1/2 times years of service, When they changed the law the state employees got 2 times years of service an increase of one half a percent and the legislators go 4 times years of service an increase of 2 and one half percent. And yes the state did fail to make their payments for a long time and that was back when interest was good, it cost the pension fund hundreds of millions of dollars.

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 20 of 57 Posts