The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find Washington county tax or plat maps. Where I'm from in York county, we have an online GIS system that allows me to look at individual property parcels, exact property lines, and property ownership. Washington county courthouse maybe?

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Yes, Wash County doesn't have an online system. I forget which office in the courthouse that you get them, but that is where you have to go. I think it might be the tax assessors office.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured. Its a shame theres no online gis system like for york, but I'll have to swing by the courthouse in the spring sometime and check out what they have to offer

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
shootbowtech said:
Thats what I figured. Its a shame theres no online gis system like for york, but I'll have to swing by the courthouse in the spring sometime and check out what they have to offer
You need to go to the assessment office in the courthouse. You will need to look at the tax maps and write down the parcel info/numbers. Then you can tell them what numbers you wrote down, and they will pull the cards with owner info, and where to find the deed.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
every county is different. some have everything on computer(lawrence), others still have everything on paper(mercer).

another easier option is a plat book. you can usually get them at the soil conservation district office in whatever county your looking at. black lines on white paper, but you can see who owns property in an area pretty easy with one, although they're not perfect. the tax assessors office is the final word, but plat books are easier and you can take it home.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Actually in Washington County, you can purchase a platt book. It has maps of all the townships with the property owners listed on the properties and are available I believe at the assessment office. They are pretty handy.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Cspot, I was just thinking about this exact thing. I saw an older one at a local magistrate's office. I was out driving in some areas of the county the other day thinking about trying to obtain permission on some new properties.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Just a quick tip.. I have a Zillow app on my i-phone.. It's a free real estate app.. If you do a search for nearby homes it brings up a map, with your location, and shows property lines.. It doesn't have it on an aerial map on the phone, but most real estate sites (zillow, trulia, realtor) have property lines shown. I know they're not exact, but from my experience they're pretty darn accurate.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those aps use property line information that has been already uploaded to the internet. In some areas, you can see property lines right on google maps, but only if that information is available online. Looks like ill be buying a plat book and cross referencing with google earth...

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
shootbowtech said:
Looks like ill be buying a plat book and cross referencing with google earth...
That is what I do. You can't always tell where the property lines are for sure, but you can get pretty close. You can also see if a property owner owns other parcels nearby. Sometimes you may get permission to hunt more than one farm.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
don't trust a plat book. use it as a guide only, there too many mistakes to trust it too much. the map of pa on the front of all my plat books is missing several counties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts