The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a Taurus Judge Public Defender model handgun. I plan on using as a CCW, and a trail gun for hiking/hunting. I've done a fair amount of research in the past few months, and I have read many mixed reviews on the product. If you own one (or previously owned one), please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like the concept but the gun is too big and heavy for my liking,If you want a CCW and for hiking take a look at the Ruger LCP with lazer sites, very small but a 380 cal and would do the job for you. JMO

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I've shot a few Taurus revolvers and never known one to be a bad gun. All where accurate and had ok triggers. I don't think they make a bad gun. They aren't Smith and Wesson.

As for the defender as a CCW. I would bet money that if you purchase one for the intent of CCW, eventually you stop carrying it. They are big.

Go to the website Box of Truth. They did some informal testing on the effectiveness of the Judge in self defense. 410 shotgun shells either slug or shot are not very good for self defense.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
IMO - it makes a poor hiking gun and a poor self defense gun. So many better options. I've shot the Judge and like it - but to me its just a novelty gun.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Winchester has some new loads for personal defense and they rated pretty good according to Guns and Ammo

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
rflktrman said:
Winchester has some new loads for personal defense and they rated pretty good according to Guns and Ammo
Have you ever seen a bad review in guns and ammo?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I have a Public Defender. It is a bit of a novelty weapon. But I always thought a .410 handgun was cool and I've always wanted a 45LC. So I figured why not? It throws pretty mean groups with #6 or #9 shot, which is all I've shot so far. My purchase was prompted by 2 large aggressive dogs that charged my wife and I on one of our long walks up north recently. Going to load-bird shot-00 buck-45LC. Good night time weapon for her too.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I agree with High Country in that if you get one for concealed carry you will eventually stop carrying it because of size.
I shot the Judge on several occasions and while it seems like a cool concept and has the coolness appeal to it, from what I have found it doesn't do anything real good.
It doesn't shoot the .45 LC ammo too bad, but with buck shot and regular shotgun shells it was less than impressive as the patterns opened up too much. There are definitely better choices out there for self defense in better calibers and size.
I think it would be good to keep under the seat of your truck in case you got car jacked, other than that not much use.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Contimplating one for the wife to keep in the house when I am out and even its size wont matter in the duffle bag she calls a purse.

If I got one for myself I think it would be the car gun. One or two rounds of buck should end a carjacking real quick.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I own one but only carry it for rabbits. Shots have to be very close, but that's OK. Not out there to kill a bunch, just like hearing the hound's voice. Cool gun, shoots well, reliable.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
> My purchase was prompted by 2 large aggressive dogs that charged my wife and I on one of our long walks up north recently.

You are not planning on defending yourself from mean dogs with bird shot or buck shot? I have read numerous times about how hard it is to stop a dog and this is from guys shooting them with 10mm auto's.

Buck shot out of one of these pistols only penetrate a few inches in balistic gel. No thanks.

These are large heavy wheel guns. Buy a 44 mag instead. Ammo is alot easier to come by and in way more varieties than 45 lc and you can always load down to 44 special if you want.

WV Gino

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Yesterday, my wife and I shot the Federal handgun .410 000 buck 4 pellet loads at 10yds and closer. At 10yds all 4 were in 4-6" groups. Plenty of medicine for a menacing dog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah only good for close range, but if ur carrying it for hiking and camping its perfect for what u prolly need it for. Very reliable, lifetime warranty always helps too!

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I read somewhere that most self defense shootings are 10 yards or closer. Many at 1-3 yards. I think a .410 load would be about perfect for that! However the Judge does seem very big to carry. I'd think it would be more of a home self defense weapon. A .380 Keltech or something similar would be much easier to conceal. My exboss has a .32 Keltech. Sweet little carry pistol! It has a pocket clip and he just keeps it in his front pocket at all times.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
After additional testing, the Public Defender is history. I was very disappointed in the performance of the 45LC loads. Even acknowledging the ultra short barrel, the short range groups were pathetic
On to plan B...

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Yesterday, my wife and I shot the Federal handgun .410 000 buck 4 pellet loads at 10yds and closer. At 10yds all 4 were in 4-6" groups. Plenty of medicine for a menacing dog
What happened to this? Personal defense is all about extremely close ranges.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
More to it than that. I wanted to shoot and carry 45lc rounds too and it wouldn't group. Plus it's a little bulky & unbalanced for my wife, and not much of a concealment piece
I went in to it with an open mind, despite all of the negative things I read about it- just wasn't for me/us

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Yeah it is kinda big and bulky. It would be a nice piece to just keep on the night stand or something. Then of course a sawed off pistol grip 12 guage under the bed is always a nice option too? LOL!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
One of the commercial for The Judge sales pitch is as a Anti-carjacking gun. I did not want to say Road Rage..Thats all you need people whipping out any gun and shooting people during road rage.. However...Nuts like that will whip out any gun and use it....
Best to think of it as an anti carjacking gun..

I would not mind owning one but um for that price there are other guns I would buy first...Like an AR or a Single Action 44 Mag, or Marlin 4570 or Browning BLR.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts