The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok seeing other safety zone questions i have a question on target shooting safety zones....a neigbor 4 doors up the road was out shooting the other day with some friends over....at times there were bout 20/30 rounds going off that sounded like automatic fire or real fast semi-auto or more then one shooting at the same time....now far as i know he doesn't have a safe dirt mound backstop in his yard from times i was in his yard, but just woods back there....now the funny part is i can't shoot a deer in my back yard with the same woods as my back stop without permission from every property owner within 150 yards of my back yard because i'm in there safety zone of an occ building....what are the laws on target shooting like these guys are doing with hundreds of rounds of ammo that has way more possiblity of hurting someone with a bullet that i can't do with just one shot at a deer that i know won't go much farther past that deer
..........bob

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Unless your municipality has some ordinance against target shooting you are at the mercy of your neighbors.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah figured that out with a call to the PSP stating as long as they "ARE" using a safe back stop, key word "ARE"....but shouldn't hunting and target shooting fall under the same safety zone regulations???, my thoughts would say yes as there is more chance of a stray bullet from target shooting injuring someone with 100's of rounds then just 1 shot at a deer
....i mean i'm i the only one who thinks they should fall under the same reg's???....i bet is yes since it's not grouped the same.........bob

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No target shooting should not fall under the safety zone law. Safety zone is for hunting and trapping. I sure don't wnat the PGC saddled with chasing target shooters around because the local authorties have nothing in place. They have enough to do.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
However, as the PA appeals court said in Jones vs Wagner (1993) it is trespassing to shoot across the land of another even though the bullet does not land upon it.

State boys arrested a guy near fawn grove about ten years ago when his bullets were bouncing out across farm fields of neighbors.

Municipalities have noise ordinances, and some even have ordinances against dust and debris being directed or allowed to stray across the property lines.

A half mile up the road from me, the folks shoot almost every weekend. their back stop is a three foot high pile of dirt and there is another house about 100 yds beyond the back stop and just a few degrees off from directly behind the back stop. Enough that I would be very worried if I owned that house.

The real kicker came, when I kept hearing shots from a neighbor's yard. Thought maybe it was fireworks. Another neighbor called to tell me I better checck it out, but not to walk up through the corn field. So I drove around. The kid got a shot gun for his birthday. They were in the back yard trying to pattern it. Except that the cardboard target was up against my corn field. Anybody could see the trough shaped hole in the corn field from the 2 dozen shots they fired and where the corn stalks were cut off and bent over. All that dam lead shot in the corn stalks and ears that I COULDN'T feed to the animals.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
The real kicker came, when I kept hearing shots from a neighbor's yard. Thought maybe it was fireworks. Another neighbor called to tell me I better checck it out, but not to walk up through the corn field. So I drove around. The kid got a shot gun for his birthday. They were in the back yard trying to pattern it. Except that the cardboard target was up against my corn field. Anybody could see the trough shaped hole in the corn field from the 2 dozen shots they fired and where the corn stalks were cut off and bent over. All that dam lead shot in the corn stalks and ears that I COULDN'T feed to the animals.
Couldn't you get something for crop damages?

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
It was a neighbor I get along with rather well. He just had a momentary lapse in judgment. I told him to bring the kid down to my place and we'd throw some clays for him to shoot at, at a more suitable place.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Impressed with your forgiveness.

I remember, as a kid, out hunting my friends property for squirrels. By brother nailed one with his 12 gauge and we were standing there talking about it when the neighbor comes walking up. His barn had been sprayed by my brothers shot, while he was in it working. My brother about choked. The neighbor was understanding and said there was no damage (about 75 yards away) and was satisfied with my brothers heart felt apology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts