The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some hides to get tanned, does anyone recommend a tannery? I have used Moyles in the past but would like to try somebody different.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
What's the issue with moyles??? Just curious...I got 2 hides there now...you got me worried! They seem quick...I know one was done a few weeks ago....should be getting them back any day now..but now you got me worried!

I used lonestar wool and fur....nice work...but kinda slow...think it was 6-7 months....and they claimed they didn't get my deposit and tried double charging me...in the end, they took care of me...but didn't like being told they didn't get a deposit when I'm certain the check was cashed....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no problem with Moyles other than sometimes they were really slow, I waited about 7 months one time. I was just looking for someplace a little closer and maybe a little cheaper.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Moyles has been consistant for me- always 3 months or a little longer. This was all with furs. They maybe take longer on stuff like bear and bison.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
alright! you had me sweatin a bit!! thanx for the update...

i wanna say my yote hide was done when i called a month ago..right around 3 months..and my deer hide was still in the process...shouldnt be much longer...im sure its just tumbling..and tumbling..and tumbling...i hope that sucker didnt shrink that much lol...that was the only reason i saved and sent it..largest bodied deer i have ever seen..and didnt have much for a rack so i figured i'd have the hide tanned just to have a nice big hide (i know they do shrink up some...)

i sent a button buck hide once..my first flintlock kill and i wanted to have something saved..that sucker barely covers my TV stand! and were talkin a small TV stand on wheels type thing...lol..

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
figured id update...

i just got my yote and deer hide back from Moyles...turn around was right around 4 months...

turned out beautiful...

im really impressed at how the yote turned out...mine was one of the few that didnt stink at all...but man, it was pretty greasy and just dirty...not to mention the mauser ripped a huge hole in it and it was a bloody mess...

now, its soft very nice fur...i was worried about it...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I'm still waiting on my bill. BTW they do a really nice job on beaver pelts, just soft, stretchy, fur is plain beautiful. Makes the beaver fur of this region look so "northern" LOL. I've got one hide that is a nice dark brown, absolutely beautiful. I took that one at " hillbilly private junkyard ponds" in Jarrettsville MD, Harford co. I used my cement block and castor set LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts