The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put salt on my fresh deer hide. Problem is, I have blood on the hair. Should I wash the hide before I put salt on the hide and freeze it, or just salt/freeze it and when I am ready to tan it wash the blood out then? How do you reccomend removing the blood? Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i am not the taxidermist my husband is....but he is not here to ask!

what i have seen is... either freeze the raw hide (skinned, with as much meat off the hide as you can, dont get it wet or salt it. once you de-thaw it, then you could salt it for a few weeks to remove the moisture, then he sends them to the tannery after they are like cardboard. he does not tan is own so i dont know if that is done from salted or raw state. or....get as much meat off as possible (split the lips, remove ear extras(?) i dont know what the extras are but he has a tool for seperating the cartlage) then salt after doing this. you will get a LOT of run off liquid so funnel it into a container of some sort.

this is just what i have wittnessed i am NOT an epert but i didnt want you to go unanswered for too long a time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The blood won't be a problem if left on, it will come out in the rehydration bath and pickle.
If you are going to freeze it don't bother with the salt . Just freeze it raw now until you are ready to tan it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.