The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to do this for a while now. Found this stuff and was just wondering if it does the pickleing as well as the tan.
Has anyone used it? Results good or not so good?
http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Tanning+Kits+Supplies/Trapper's+Hide+Tanning+Formula
Another one I considered was the McKenzie Tan and pickleing with there Ultimate Acid.
My taxidermist say this is a good one.
What is your opinions? Anyone used eigther one?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
It take alot of time and effort to tan hides for yourself. I followed the directions exactly on a coon, fox, and coyote last year using the orange bottle, but none of them turned out soft and supple like Moyle's professional tanning process. I worked them over a tight rope and even tried an orbital sander to work them soft, but they will never be the garment quality I was looking for.
Find a good Injun squaw with a little time on her hands to work the pelts and save yourself the pain.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just recently purchased a bottle of the Trapper's Tan, but haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it works well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i`ve tanned at least 20 hides with Krowtann 2000. it`s lots of work but the results were great..
You have a lot of hand work to do. Look forward to a minimum 5 days per animal.
An hour scraping, 3 to 4 days of soaking in the solution.
then 2 more days pulling and breaking the skin. As the skin dries you have to pull the fibers of it so it becomes soft, then you have to break it over a hard edge which makes it flexible..
All in all its a lot of work but its well worth it...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I tanned a grey fox and a mink hide last year with a LutanF kit from WASCO.com and it came out quite soft. I did them both at the same time and both broke easily as did the mink. I didn't try to make them garment quality just made furs to hang in my den but without a back breaking effort they were pretty soft and supple when I was done. How soft you make them is determined by how hard you break them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts