The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get a tanning kit to do a bear hide this year if the hunting gods walks a nice bear past me during archery bear in nov....what is the best tanning kit to get that will turn a bear hide into fur on leather and not a stiff hard like just salted skin....i dried a deer hide with just salt that made a nice stiff wall hanging hide, i don't want that with a bear hide..........bob

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
This might not be what you want to hear, but I would leave that to the pro's. A trophy like that really deserves experienced hands. The felt alone will cost around $50.00, that is if you want a single felt border. I wouldn't even want to try to comb out the burrs or tangles. My suggestion would be to start asking around taxidermy shops to check their work. Some things you leave to the professionals, and this in my opinion is one of them. Good luck hunting bear this year. I hope I wasn't to negative, just honest.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh no not all....i don't want a felt backing or border, just the bear hide tanning into pliable leather type like you would do a fox hide..........bob

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Bear skin = one really greasey beast!!!!!!! Degreasing it is top of the things to do. Next,i would put,thinning it down,after pickling it,prior to tanning. If you get this far,breaking the hide,to soften it,by hand,you will look like the Hulk!!!!!
There are books,on tanning,at your library.
Also,your salted deer hide,watch it for bugs and slippage?
It is truly worth the price a tannery wants,to do a bear.

·
Banned
649 Posts
bears are a whole different ballgame than deer hides, they have more grease in em than a mcdonalds fryer. do yourself a favor and take the bear to a taxidermist who will prep it the right way and then send it out to be professionally tanned

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I do bear up to a certain point, skin, flesh, turn ears, turn nose, split lips and eyelids, salt to dry. From there I ship it to a tannery. Depending on size, priced per foot, it is usually around $130-150. I just hang them on a hook when finished.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts