The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very pleasant man but he said that he would like to see late season flintlock hunters wear a orange hat while moving because of the small game hunters and I don't know how I would feel about that because of the slow walks I take. I guess it would not matter that much.
Just don't know right now.
what's every ones thoughts?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Depends where your hunting. Through fields where people are pheasant yes. In the middle of the woods where no one is parked no.
In 2b I do wear a orange hat while walking as lots are small and a lot of idiots.

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
Depends where your hunting. Through fields where people are pheasant yes. In the middle of the woods where no one is parked no.
In 2b I do wear a orange hat while walking as lots are small and a lot of idiots.

so you want to wear orange in an open field where people can see you, but not in the middle of the woods where they cant :beammeup:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
In my opinion, a major part of the romantism of the flintlock season is the CHOICE of blaze or no. Nothing says you cannot wear it, but the FREEDOM we still have over this should be left intact.

and I agree. I do sometimes wear my capote but it is bright red from head to toe, not much different than orange and it is period correct.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In 2b I do wear a orange hat while walking as lots are small and a lot of idiots.[/quote

so you want to wear orange in an open field where people can see you, but not in the middle of the woods where they cant
Yup. Don’t have worry about someone shooting me while not paying attention shooting a pheasant. I don’t hunt where others are and 90% of time don’t see anyone when hunting.

Been shot towards few time while pheasant hunting. People tune out when birds go out. Don’t think I have the same issue with someone else with a flintlock in the middle of the woods . Last time I checked they still only make them single shot.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I only wear some orange if doing drives so to tell where drivers and posters are. Otherwise no orange if walking/standing. If I get mistaken for a deer by someone with a flintlock that person should be charged with premeditated murder...wouldn’t be no accident.
For me it's not so much about someone mistaking me for a deer, but more so if someone shoots at a deer and doesn't see me behind the deer, etc...

I wear orange to alert someone not to shoot in my direction.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
When this all started back in 70's, and I was a good bit younger, I was all in with the traditional outfit - on the outside. Under it I had thermal underware, down vest, hand warmers, insulated boots, and whatnot.

Today, I wear a crusher orange hat and an orange small game vest. One needs someplace to tote a thermos, tp, snacks, sandwiches, and padded seat - all traditional, of course.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Not required, dont use any. Part of the fun of flintlock. If its needed so people dont shoot you somewhere, dont hunt there!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Very pleasant man but he said that he would like to see late season flintlock hunters wear a orange hat while moving because of the small game hunters and I don't know how I would feel about that because of the slow walks I take. I guess it would not matter that much.
Just don't know right now.
what's every ones thoughts?
That is exactly what I do. I wear an orange hat while moving, and simply switch it while sitting. The deer don't seem to mind either way, and I know it helps my visibility to other hunters.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts