The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,942 Posts
Loved the heck out of Max when he was a Pen but the Flyers over paid for him IMHO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
It appears that the Flyers are poised to return to their goonish ways, not that they ever really left...

Talbot could have his fair share of gritty play, but Downie is an outright goon...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
It appears that the Flyers are poised to return to their goonish ways, not that they ever really left...

Talbot could have his fair share of gritty play, but Downie is an outright goon...
Yeah Downie's a real "goon". Have you ever seen a goon with 145 pts in 285 carreer NHL games? That's 1.96 points per game average, Wouldn't you say that's pretty good for a "goon" there trask ?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
Yeah lb, he's got more offensive prowess than Crosby OR the "best player in the world" Claude Giroux...

BTW, he has 696 penalty minutes in 285 games...

And these gems...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeh3tyUL10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LItMqF6_G0I

I really love the goonery by all the Flyers on the McAmmond hit. Downie charges McAmmond and gives him a flying elbow to the head, knocking him out cold. The Sens then proceed to jump Downie and here come the rest of the goons, one of them recklessly crashing in and having his skate come extremely close to ripping open MacAmmond's face as he lays on the ice... I especially like Bolerice cheapshotting MacGrattan while he is already engaged, wailing away on him while he is already tied up, then jumping on him from behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnvzVzySOCE

Love that classy move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQZevUbaII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4-RrKSbBEk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4RkHbMeqk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,042 Posts
Thanks for going to such great lengths posting all those vids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
Well he's now the Flyers top scorer so far this year, LOL. I don't have time to watch your library of videos but I can take a guess they are a lot of Downie's early years in the league. Esp. if they are from when he was a Flyer. I know you don't Trask, but some people do change as they mature. I believe you may have the same mentality of a lot of oldtime Pa. hunters before AR... once a spike , ALWAYS a spike or in your mind... once a goon , always a goon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
Peppy said:
Thanks for going to such great lengths posting all those vids.
Yeah no kidding! Do you have all these Flyers videos saved on your computer or what? Who has time to search for all this garbage? I know I don't, I'm headed to bed, 4 am. comes mighty early for us folks that work 55-60 hr weeks but I'm sure you'll be up all night studying the Flyers past & present. I think your a Flyers fan that hasn't come out of the closet yet!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
344 Posts
Long beard. You better recheck your math on that 1.96. Must of been a brain fart!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
Yeah lb, I'm sure you are lauding Matt Cooke for changing his ways and letting everything about his past go, RIGHT???

BTW, love the Downiesque cheap shot about me having nothing better to do than look up videos of Steve Downie, while hard working folks like you have better things to do...

It literally took 5 minutes to you to Youtube, type in "Steve Downie Dirty Hits" and there they all were.

You and I will always disagree but ask the majority of hockey fans all over the league and there is no doubt that the Flyers have had a penchant for goonery and violence since their inception. Just look at the guys that they have iced on their rosters in the past and their reputations.

Steve Downie, Chris Pronger, Danny Carcillo, Ken Linseman, Jesse Boulrice, Dave Brown, Bobby Clarke, Scott Hartnell, Zac Rinaldo, Vinny Lecavlier, etc, etc, etc...

I don't think they brought Downie back for his offensive prowess...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
long beard said:
TraskOutdoors said:
It appears that the Flyers are poised to return to their goonish ways, not that they ever really left...

Talbot could have his fair share of gritty play, but Downie is an outright goon...
Yeah Downie's a real "goon". Have you ever seen a goon with 145 pts in 285 carreer NHL games? That's 1.96 points per game average, Wouldn't you say that's pretty good for a "goon" there trask ?
Yea, you did the math backwards there lol

try a 0.50 ppg average........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
Downie is an ok player, he’s not a typical goon but he is a knucklehead… for every point he gets for the flyers he’ll do two things that will put him in the box.
Seeing that you just traded away one of your top Pkers for him I don’t think that’s going to work out for you.

IMO... Downie was brought in for one reason.. HEART!! your team has NONE and Downie is full of it.

Have you ever seen a goon with 145 pts in 285 carreer NHL games?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,857 Posts
How about them penguins!
Burn through the regular season only to fall on their faces in an early playoff round exit!
Seems like they are following the script again this year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,359 Posts
lanchestercounty said:
How about them penguins!
Burn through the regular season only to fall on their faces in an early playoff round exit!
Seems like they are following the script again this year
......
so weak LOL

The flyers are so irrelevant it’s really not even worth my time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
lanchestercounty said:
How about them penguins!
Burn through the regular season only to fall on their faces in an early playoff round exit!
Seems like they are following the script again this year
ehhhhhh......they at least make it to the playoffs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,849 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
long beard said:
TraskOutdoors said:
It appears that the Flyers are poised to return to their goonish ways, not that they ever really left...

Talbot could have his fair share of gritty play, but Downie is an outright goon...
Yeah Downie's a real "goon". Have you ever seen a goon with 145 pts in 285 carreer NHL games? That's 1.96 points per game average, Wouldn't you say that's pretty good for a "goon" there trask ?
Yea, you did the math backwards there lol

try a 0.50 ppg average........
Glad I wasn't the only one to see that. If it was 1.96 points per game, then they just got a future hall of famer for Talbot...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
stein76 said:
Long beard. You better recheck your math on that 1.96. Must of been a brain fart!
Yeah the typing fingure was quicker then the mind.... .508 pts per game average is what I wanted to type. Still pretty good for a goon. And another reason he's a "ok" pickup is he is a UFA at the end of the season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,601 Posts
Here's a little something from hockey news this morning I read. Seems I'm not the only one who thinks the flyers made out in this trade...

From The Hockey News...

Why did the Avalanche add Talbot for Downie?
Ken Campbell
By: Ken Campbell on October 31, 2013

Part of my job here at The Hockey News, particularly when analyzing trades, is to provide some perspective and some reasoning behind why a move was made. Well, here we go on the Colorado Avalanche’s decision to trade Steve Downie to the Philadelphia Flyers for Max Talbot.

OK. That’s it. Tapped out. Truth be told, I have not got a clue why the Colorado Avalanche is making this move, other than I have to believe they hate being the league’s best team. That’s probably not true, but how else do you explain it? There has to be something more here than meets the eye because as far as a hockey trade was concerned, Paul Holmgren fleeced Joe Sakic on this one.

Sakic’s first trade as the head of the Avs hockey department – getting Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich from Calgary in exchange for David Jones and Shane O’Brien – has turned out better than most people expected. The prediction from this corner is this one will not.

We do know this. Downie is an impending unrestricted free agent who makes $2.65 million a year and is in line to make significantly more than that next season. We also know that Talbot makes just $1.75 million on a contract that has two more years after this one. We also know that Talbot is 29 and Downie is 26 and with the exception of penalty killing, Downie is a far superior player to Talbot in every aspect of the game...
More:
Why did the Avalanche add Talbot for Downie?

Love this blirb in that article:
Sakic justified the deal by saying that Talbot is a proven winner and gritty player. Hmm, so is Downie. Anyone who watched the world juniors in Vancouver in 2006 knows how well Downie can play in big games.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top